Wednesday, 1 July 2009
It's Territory Day ! Not a lot of sleep will be happening tonight. It's also membership renewal time. You can now do this online so hop to and fix up today and you are good to go for a whole year. Until 31 July 09 only, a special discount is available for renewing or new individual members. Read this and then get it sorted.
I was one of the lucky ones who raced in the Bali International Triathlon at the weekend. It was great to see Michelle Gailey break through for an overall female international race win. Kyle Gear was also up there in the results finishing an impressive 3rd overall. Our respective age group efforts again proved that our club members are top triathlon competitors (and good travellers). Pencil in a date claimer for June next year and keep the Bali International Triathlon in mind.
1. Race 1 Sprint Series, Short Option - amended results:
1 Nic French 44 mins 35 secs; 2 Simone Griffiths 46.30; 3 Adrian Beard 47.30; 4 BA Kerslake 48.50; 5 Paul Carroll 51.50; 6 Graham Parsons 51.38; 7 Bill Piper 51.58; 8 Shelley Earle 52.01; 9 Andrea Oorloff 52.06; 10 Shane Forster 53.33; 11 Kylie Sheffield 55.10; 12 Sonya Jones 56.53; 13 Lincoln Withers 1.00.28; 14 Stuart Brown 1.00.28
2. Bali International Triathlon, 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run
Male: Luke McKenzie 2.10.15 Female: Michelle Gailey 2.36.39
Kyle Gear 1st M20-24 2.23.15
Michelle Gailey 1st F25-29 2.36.39
Ron Griep 4th M40-44 2.41.32
Lauren Stephenson 1st F20-24 2.51.24
David Croser 7th M40-44 2.52.11
Tony West M40-44 2.53.00 (incorrectly showing as dnf in prov. results)
Alison Croser 3rd F40-44 2.57.21
Daryl Stanley 2nd M60-64 2.58.23
Shaye Hatty 2nd F35-39 2.59.45
Helen Bretten 6th F40-44 3.10.28
Robyn Stanley 1st F55-59 3.13.58
Phill Hatty 23rd M40-44 3.23.43
3. Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs, 1.9+km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Male: Paul Matthews 4.01.26 Female: 4.33.36
4. Ironman France, 3.8km swim, 180km bike, 42.2km run
Male: Marcel Zamora Perez 8.30.06 Female: Tine Deckers 9.30.29
5. Hy-Vee ITU Elite Cup, Des Moines, 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run
Male: Simon Whitfield (CAN) 1.49.43 Female: Emma Moffatt (AUS) 1.59.46
Sunday 5 July 2009
Race 2 Sprint Series
750m swim, 26km ride, 5km run
(Short option 300/13/3)
Race Director: Brian Gallagher
Registration: Peter Stephens / Matt Brearley
Timekeeping: Bronwyn Rossingh / Steve Rossingh
Fruit / Ice: Geoff Cruickshank
1. Non drafting event. Roads open, please obey all traffic rules and competitors must STOP for red lights.
2. If you volunteer for body marking, please ensure numbers are written in BLOCK PRINT and that numbers are written DOWN the arm (numbers written "around" the arm are difficult for timekeepers to see as we flash past).
3. If you are available to assist on Sunday please advise.
2009/2010 MEMBERSHIPS ARE NOW OPEN:
1. We encourage you all to use the online system for your membership renewals this year. (Read: workload decreases for volunteers).
2. Individuals (new and renewing) will save $10 by completing the process before 31 July 2009 (get it done NOW). From 1 Aug full rate applies.
3. Generous family rate is available for 2 adult members and up to 2 juniors (19 & Under as at 31 Dec 09); Full time adult student rate is also available (you must have a FULL TIME student card to be eligible).
3. As a Darwin Triathlon Club member you are also a member of Triathlon NT and Triathlon Australia.
4. Please print a copy of your receipt as proof of membership until your TA card is sent you.
5. Once you have joined up online, you are able to access your record at anytime to update contact details (phone, email etc) or notify of change of address.
6. Finish your coffee and E News and do it today (read the attached "how to" instructions)
1. The Club 2009/2010 Age Group Pointscore kicks off this Sunday.
2. 2008/2009 Winners will be announced at our annual presentation night.
FOR SALE / WANTED ETC:
1. INTERESTED?: Phil & Karen are planning to do the Tour de Timor and are looking for other interested persons to join them. Contact Karen 0414 451 619
2. FOR SALE: Cervelo P2 DuraAce 2009. Size 51 (small). Ridden 4 X only, 147 km! ie current model, shiny, as new. $5000 (RRP $5699).
Contact: David on 0418 807 997
3. Items for next E News by Sunday 6pm please
1. You may be interested in the Leah Cullen 10km Relay Challenge, 18 July 2009, Casuarina Pool. We are invited to submit 1 x 10 person team (all team members must be club members) to compete in the challenge. Warm up from 4-5pm. Racing from 5pm with swimmers to complete between 500m and 2km each in a single effort. Each team member must swim once. Cost per team $100. Prizes - 1st place $500; $100 plus gift per competitor. More details: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Those who competed in Bali at the weekend had to negotiate over 700 metres of beach run before reaching the new transition area. Now that was a tough way to start an already a tough ride.
3. Darwin Cycling Club are running “Around the Springs in a Day !!!”. It’s A 60 km Sportif Event (15 km Juniors) on Sun 12 July 2009; 0900 hrs start; Cox Peninsular Rd. Berry Springs. MTB class also run concurrently under MTBA conditions. CA or MTBA licence or respective day licence required. Categories: 1st,2nd, 3rd Overall, MTB and Juniors; 1st Female ..... 1st Novice; $5.00 entry on the day (non cycling club members pay $8)
Race it or just ride it !!! Form a team, work together, chat merrily or just smack it hard solo to the finish – it’s your choice !!! Sportif is a mass start, timed event. Race is out and back format. For MTB class – must be 26 or 29 wheels – minimum tyre width 1.5. Open road event – road rules and Commissaire’s directions must be obeyed, helmets must be worn. Enquiries, unsolicited expensive gifts and pre-entries to Andy Galloway email@example.com 0414 272 102
4. Good luck to those heading down to Queensland to compete in the Gold Coast Marathon or the Half Marathon this weekend.
5. Entry still open for Vietnam Triathlon at Hoi An 29 August 09.
YOU KNOW YOU ARE NEW TO TRIATHLON WHEN...
... a 10k is your dream engagement ring
... breathing hard and getting sweaty is something you try to avoid unless you are in bed
... eating healthy involves diet coke
Darwin Triathlon Club
Club website: www.members.iinet.net.au/~darwintriclub
Facebook Group: Darwin Triathlon Club
Facebook Event: 2009 NT Long Course Triathlon