Thursday, 4 March 2010
Due to the weather conditions it appears a number of people elected to stay in bed rather than head down for the Enduro. With the lake being closed, Race Director Col Smith planned a 3km run, 10km ride and 3km run. As competitors were out running the first 3km, Col decided to call off the ride leg due to the very wet conditions. So our versatile athletes just continued on and did a second 3km run. Everyone seemed to enjoy the event but of course were a little disappointed they couldn’t have a ride as well. Thanks to RD Col Smith and those hardy souls who assisted with the running of the event.
Lets hope the weather gods are kind for our annual Womens & Sprint Series coming up next.
1. Enduro, Lake Alexander, 2 x 3km run
1 Lachlan McKenna 27.35; 2 John Thyne 27.55; 3 Andrew Packer 28.11; 4 Stuart Young 28.14; 5 Matthew Frost 29.03; 6 Roger DeCurtins 29.16; 7 Jamie Tomlinson 29.49; 8 Nikki Roddie 30.16; 9 Justin Tranter 31.23; 10 Dave Croser 31.38; 11 James Geddes 31.38; 12 Brian Gallagher 31.50; 13 Robbie Weatherald 31.51; 14 Paul Sheffield 31.51; 15 Peter Nooak 32.02; 16 Shaye Hatty 32.24; 17 Ali Croser 32.24; 18 Anthony Fogarty 32.33; 19 Vicki Woodrow 32.42; 20 Stef Puszka 32.48; 21 Emma Liatermaet 32.56; 22 Barry Sullivan 33.32; 23 Steve Cooper 34.10; 24 Sue Maher 34.31; 25 Bill Piper 34.49; 26 Monica Stewart 35.58; 27 Ernie Koch 43.53; DNF Bronwyn Rossingh; DNF Nelson Rossingh
2. Ironman Malaysia, Langkawi, 3.8km swim, 180km bike, 42.2km run
Male: Marino Vanhoenacker 8.22.31 Female: Belinda Granger 9.23.33
Blue Watt 4th M50-54 11.58.31
Grant Preddy 9th M18-24 13.12.27
Robyn Stanley 1st F55-59 13.35.55
Michelle Gailey F25-20 dnf
3. Police & Emergency Services Games, Hobart
Triathlon: Garry Silk 3rd M30-34 56.40
Duathlon: Garry Silk 2nd M30-34 1.05.57
Aquathlon: Garry Silk 3rd M30-34 tbc
4. Albany Classic, WA, 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run
Male: Sean O'Neill 1.56.06 Female: Katrina Mercer 2.10.48
Barry Silverlock 2nd M50-54 2.13.21
Junior race this weekend is at Lake Alex as usual. Registration from 7.20 am for 8.00 start. Waiting to hear back from the council on Friday re quality of water to see if the lake is open – in the event it’s closed, RD Nerida will provide an alternative format. This is the last chance for juniors 12 and above to have a hit out for the upcoming NT Champs on 21 March.
Sunday 14 March 2010
Race 1 Sprint Series (inc. Women's Series)
750m swim, 20km bike, 5km run (short option 300m swim, 10km bike, 3km run)
Race Director: Barry Sullivan
Registration: Ron Griep / Tony Cox
Timekeepers: Jo Duncan / Kathy McKay
Fruit / Ice: Kathy McKay
FOR SALE / WANTED ETC:
1. FOR SALE: Giant TCR C2, 05 Full Carbon, size M, 55.5 top tube: Ultegra 6600 with 172.5mm cranks, Wheels have done less than 500km and will put a new chain, cluster, rings and cables on at time of sale. Asking $1650 Contact: Harry 0408 893 309
2. FOR SALE: Isaac Impulse 55.5 980g frame; Size Medium; full Ultegra 6700; Easton EA90 Aero wheels R4 Hubs; 3T bar/stem combo; Vittoria Rubino Pro folding tyres $6,150.00 Contact: Harry 0408 893 309
3. Items for E News or requests for re runs by 8pm Sunday please.
1. Our Ironman Malaysia competitors are all recovering. Spare a thought for Blue Watt who missed a slot for Hawaii by one place when there was a roll down. Grant Preddy's effort in his first Ironman was marred by two punctures. The first at the 100km mark and next with about 40km to go. Having used his spare, Grant rode in on the flat, Ouch !
2. Entries are open online for the Gold Coast Half Ironman (3 October 2010)
3. Media Hound: http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2010/03/01/128101_ntsport.html
4. 21 year old Alistair Brownlee, who dominated the 2009 ITU World Championship Series with a perfect 5-for-5 season, is out the first two races of the season with stress fracture of the femur.
5. It is with sadness Triathlon Australia informs us of the death of TA member and rising star of the sport Renee Nicholls. Renee, 27, was hit by a car while training on the Gold Coast over the weekend and decision was then made to remove life support. She was a member of the Southport Triathlon Club and achieved podium finishes at Geelong 70.3 and Ironman Australia. At the 2009 Ironman World Championships in Hawaii she won her age group by nine minutes, prompting her to recently take out a Long Course Professional Licence. Renee was an ADF member. We join the rest of the triathlon community in offering our condolences to Renee's family and friends.
6. Busy weekend coming up in Alice Springs. The Alice Tri Club has their Ultimate Ride Teams Challenge on Saturday followed by Race 3 of their Sprint Series on Sunday. If you are down that way, they would love to see you racing.
7. A Jerome update: He is still breathing (barely), was in Paris with Marianne then heading to San Diego in California for a conference then back to Paris for a week and back to Reunion Island! Not much time for triathlon in that lifestyle !
8. Good luck to those racing in Ironman New Zealand this weekend. Rachel De Zoete, Andy Jones and Lucie Hardiman will all be in action.
9. Last Sunday night, Craig and Nerida Alexander, and four (4) of their neighbours were broken into and a large number of items were stolen, including Craig's bikes, a car, scooter, surf boards, golf clubs, tools etc. Both of Craig's Orbea bikes (road and time trial/racing bike) were stolen, together with a bunch of other bike/cycling equipement.
We are looking for your assistance to spread these details far and wide. If you are offered or hear of anyone trying to off load the bikes please call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. It is felt that flooding the market with details for such a unique bike may help it be recovered and perhaps lessen the chance of this happening to others. Thanks for your anticipated assistance.
Craig's race bike: Black 51 cm ORBEA ORDU bike: This bike is very unique as there are only a handful of bikes in Australia that have the Shimano Di2 electronic group sets on it. It also has a Shimano Prototype SRM power meter installed on the bike. This is distinctive by looking at the crank drive arm. This is the only one in Australia and there are only a handful in the world.
Details of Craig's road bike: Frame: Black Orbea ORCA; Derailer Front: SHIMANO 7900 Durace
YOU KNOW YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE WHEN...
... some of your toes are black, you have a peeling forehead and a week later you still have a swollen arm from jellyfish stings
... you couldn't force another gu down even if your life depended on it
... you swear this year you are going to pay more attention to nutrition and flexibility (again)
Darwin Triathlon Club