Lots of positive feedback from Finlay's NT Long Course Triathlon at Lake Bennett Resort yesterday.
So many people were involved in making this event happen that it would be impossible to name them all, however there are a few notable mentions.
Firstly a huge thank you to our event sponsor, Finlay's Stonemasonry and Landscaping Supplies. The competitors put in huge efforts to earn the prize money attached to the event. The event tshirts were sponsored by Gwelo and were favoured apparel at the presentation.
The management and staff at Lake Bennett Resort went all out to assist us. This included special room rates, use of resort equipment and facilities, carbo dinner on offer, and special sausage sizzle.
RD Col Smith was on the job and in typical Col fashion drew together an event in that wonderful Territory style we all love.
David McLeod provided water safety during the swim, and then Nerida Godfrey sat out in the sun breathing smokey air for over three hours on the far bike turnaround, counting laps and encouraging us on the bike leg.
Bertram Birk and Dave McLeod set up and manned the end drink stations and, as the day wore on, became the faces we most wanted not to have to see again.
Rob Brooks was in charge of the resort gate aid station and those ice cold sponges were a treat. Special mention also to Lachie Hatty, Charlie and Will Birk whose youthful energy was deployed to keep the far aid stations well supplied. The boys did many a mercy dash.
The technical team was out there all day making sure things went smoothly. Post race refreshments were very, very welcome. The timing team did an awesome job enabling provisional results to be posted yesterday afternoon.
Many, many more people just jumped in and helped out and I know I speak on behalf of all competitors in saying to all those involved:
"Thank you, we really appreciated your efforts"
1. Finlay's NT Long Course Triathlon, Lake Bennett Resort, 2km swim, 60km bike, 16km run
Provisional results posted to club website.
Male: Chad Anderson 3.05.04 Female: Bec Thyne 3.48.10
Age Group Winners:
18-24 Grant Preddy / Bec Thyne
25-29 Chad Anderson / Debbie Geertshuis
30-34 Carle Green / Rachel Dezoete
35-39 Shaye Hatty
40-44 Jason Jones / Sue Parora
45-49 Roger Decurtins / Belinda Birk
50-54 John Annear
55-59 Stu Fitch / Robyn Stanley
60-64 Daryl Stanley
2. Capricorn Half Ironman, Yeppoon, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21km run
Male: Peter Schookman 4.04.25 Female: Carrie Lester 4.23.50
Michelle Mitchell 6th Open F 4.50.03
Lachlan McKenna 27th M25-29 5.35.29
3. Ironman 70.3 Germany, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21km run
Male: Michael Raelert 4.03.47 Female: Yvonne Van Vlerken 4.41.52
4. Ironman 70.3 Lake Stephens, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21km run
Male: Joe Gambles 3.57.47 Female: Melanie McQuaid 4.27.16
5. ITU World C'ship Series, Kitzbuhel, 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run
Male: Stuart Hayes (GBR) 1.52.32 Female: Paula Findlay (CAN) 2.03.03
6. Challenge Copenhagen, 3.8km swim, 180km bike, 42km run
Male: Tim Berkel (AUS) 8.07.39 Female: Rebekah Keat (AUS) 8.54.36
1. Junior Come and Try
Sunday 22 August 2010
Registration: 6.30 - 7.30am (closes at 7.30am)
2. Open Water Triathlon
Sunday 29 August 2010
Casuarina Surf Club
300m swim, 15km bike, 3km run
Race Director: Bec Thyne
Registration: Ryoko Jones / Russell Peacock
Timekeepers: Tomas Keeler / Sue Parora
Fruit/Ice: Russell Peacock
Darwin Triathlon Club AGM will be held prior to this event.
2. Fernwood All Girls Tri
Response has been so overwhelming for the Fernwood All Girls Tri that capacity has been reached and online entries closed.
FOR SALE / WANTED ETC:
1. FOR SALE: Black/Yellow Specialised SLX Comp (M) size semi-compact frame, Campagnolo Chorus 10 spd groupset, Velocity wheels, BBB carbon bars, Serfas saddle. $1500 ono, Contact Garry on 0424 364 556
2. Items for next E News or requests for advt re runs by Sunday 8pm please.
1. Grant Preddy flies out today to compete in Ironman 70.3 Philippines next weekend. Good luck Grant.
2. Tadek Rudz did a team at yesterday's long course. After a 60km TT on a road bike, he reckons there is no way he could run after that. That was Tadek's first tri experience in years, I think we should work on getting him back into the sport.
3. The WA competitors enjoyed their triathlon experience territory style.
4. 3rd placed Carle Green ended up ripping himself out of his speed suit (it was new version too, ouch). Carle came over in good form having placed top 10 at the Busso Half. He is good pre Hawaii form.
5. Grant Preddy needed a loo stop after the bike. Put himself under real pressure to hold out Carle for 2nd place.
6. Lucie Hardiman's awesome run in the Long Course showed she is in good form for the upcoming Melbourne Marathon.
7. Stu Fitch, Ali Croser and yours truly had a very welcome pre Hawaii hitout yesterday. Respective motors are ticking along nicely.
8. Budapest bound Chad Anderson, Heath Porter and Jason Jones had timely hitouts as well. The boys haven't long to go now.
9. Physically challenged athlete Randall Gregory managed the tough 60km bike course in 3.01.54 for his team. Hat's off to Randall for a fantastic effort.
10. That snake on road at Lake B was still wiggling early in the ride. Looked like a big brown snake.
11. There will be no E News this Wednesday.
YOU KNOW YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE WHEN ...
1. ... you have weird tan lines this morning
2. ... you have blisters on both feet
3. ... you feel whacked and don't want to hear the words "lake" and "bennett" for a couple of days at least
Darwin Triathlon Club