Wednesday, 9 March 2011
Photo: Fantastic volunteers at Race 1 Sprint Series .... thank you for helping
Thanks to the eagle eyes who pointed out that 308km was a little long for the swim at Ironman New Zealand .... have to slip in the odd typo just to make sure you are all paying attention. :)
This weekend sees Race 2 of our Sprint Series happening at Lake Alexander. The Lake is still currently closed to swimming, with latest test results not yet in. Should the Lake remain closed at the weekend, our event will go ahead but we will substitute a short run in place of the swim.
1. 2011 Australian Open Water Championships, 5km swim
Lara Whitehouse 15th Girls 13, 1.12.25
Sunday 13 March 2011
Race 2 Sprint Series
7am (registration closes 6.45am)
750m swim, 26km bike, 5km run
(Short option: 300m swim, 13km bike, 3km run)
Race Status: CLUB (register on day)
Race Director: Brian Gallagher
Registration: Tony Cox / Heath Porter
Timekeeping: Simon Cruickshank/ Nell Clarke
Fruit / Ice: Naomi Hodgkinson
1. If Lake Alexander remains closed to swimming on Sunday we will be doing a duathlon.
2. This is a non drafting event.
3. We do not have road closure for this event. Competitors are reminded that they must obey all traffic regulations including stopping at RED lights.
4. For the benefit of our newer members "10 Important Triathlon Rules to Remember" is attached.
ARAFURA GAMES VOLUNTEERS:
1. Calling all those club members who aren't doing the Arafura Games Triathlon. We need lots of volunteers to help with setting up on the Saturday, registration and also on race day (8 May).
2. If you can help out, please email Anna at firstname.lastname@example.org and she will send you a cheat sheet on how to go about registering as an Arafura Games Volunteer.
FOR SALE / WANTED ETC:
1. WANTED: Good quality bike for budding junior triathlete. Either mtb or road bike preferably with light weight female frame, size small adult. Must be in good condition. Up to $350. Contact Simon: 0401 118 360
2. FOR SALE- New MAVIC Cosmic Carbone-SL carbon clincher aero wheelset PRICE - $999, RRP $1999. Scwalbe Ultremo ZX tyres included. RRP ~ $100 ea. Contact CycleZone - 6/41 Cavenagh St, Opposite Darwin GPO, 8981 4436
3. FOR SALE: 3 sets of 650cc wheels; training wheels are velocity deep rim clinchers, currently with Gatorskins on them HED Aero (Front) and HED DEEP back, with good quality singles; Carima 4 Spoke Carbon Fibre wheel set, with singles; All wheels have clusters on them. Will sell as a set, or in 3 individual lots. Contact Rodney 0417 996 923
4. Items for next E News by 8pm Sunday please.
1. Media Watch: See http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/03/08/216721_ntsport.html
2. Good luck to Shaye and Phil Hatty who are competing in the Abu Dhabi International Triathlon this weekend.
3. Now the puddles are dry on Ironman New Zealand we know that World Ironman Champion Mirinda Carfrae had two punctures and still finished a close second after running through the field.
4. Cam Brown won his 10th IM New Zealand and said "It's pretty special what I did today, but I still want to win Hawaii -- that's probably the ultimate goal. I'd probably trade all those wins for a win in Hawaii,".
5. It's great to see so many people out there enjoying their triathlon training and the added fitness benefits which come from adopting the triathlon lifestyle. Oh what a difference a couple of months make.
6. Don't forget that you need to register online for Race 2 of the Sprint Series (Ray White Darwin NT Sprint Distance Championships) 27 March 2011 at Lake Alexander. Individual entry is $25 and first 75 entrants receive race packs courtesy of Ray White Darwin. Enter at www.triathlonnt.com.au
7. Online entry is open for the NT Junior Triathlon Championships as 27 March. Junior categories are 12-13 and 14-16. Entry also at www.triathlonnt.com.au
8. IM New Zealand update: Stu Fitch got a slot for Ironman World Championships in Hawaii. Congratulations Stu.
9. Racing away? Have results info? Got some news and want to share? Email: email@example.com (prefer email and no big pdf's as many servers reject emails with large attachments).
YOU KNOW YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE WHEN ...
... your bike spares bag contents consist of an outdated Power Bar, one tyre lever, a questionable patch kit, a couple of $2 coins with god knows what stuck on them, a couple of tubes without a clue of which one has a hole, all tucked into a bag the size of your fist.
... you are more concerned about what to wear at your next race than the event distance
... you can finally eat a banana or a vegemite sandwich .... on a long run
Darwin Triathlon Club