Saturday, 14 July 2012
There will be no E News tomorrow but as we have some information we wished to convey to members please see below:
1. Our annual presentation night will take place on Sunday 19 August 2012 at Il Lido restaurant.
2. Tickets will be on sale online soon. Watch for further details.
3. For now, can you please lock in the date.
CLUB UNIFORM ORDER:
1. Good news, our uniform order has been dispatched and is on its way.
2. I’ll email collection details when it arrives and is sorted.
1. A celebration of the life of Max Ellison will take place tomorrow, Wednesday 11 July 2012. Funeral service and mass will be held at St Paul's Cathedral, Nightcliff at 10am
2. Emma Winterflood is one of many members who have fond memories of Max. Emma recalls first taking up cycling when she came to town... she would only do the race if Max was in it as well, as he always looked after (and out for) her!!!
3. Ashley Manicaros was also saddened to read of Max's passing. He remembers how Max went above and beyond his duty when helping as a volunteer and can recall one race where Tim was the race director and the day before Tim had Max - then in his 70s - out in middle of Lake Alex moving the swim buoys' around. These had floats at the top but weights at the bottom. Tim had him moving these things slightly left, slightly right, back a bit...others would have tired of the slight modifications but not Max. Max made men half his age look ordinary when he took his shirt off.
4. Max was an active member until recently and together with Yvonne was a regular competitor & volunteer at our events. Team Ellison would often start a little ahead of the field, keeping meticulous timing so their splits could be recorded.
Vale Max Ellison
Darwin Triathlon Club
We had a very pleasing turnout for Race 2 of our Duathlon Series at Hidden Valley which was also our opening event for 2012/2013. The supercars have nothing on our members … the tarmac was sizzling with the competition at the pointy end, fast and furious.
Huge thank you to RD Matt Brearley (and family) for their efforts to put on this event for us. Matt leaves nothing to chance and spent much of Saturday afternoon setting up the course. A jammed gate on race morning lead to some quick thinking and adjustments which he took in his (considerable) stride.
Thanks also to those who volunteered on roster and to those who just pitched in to help with setting up and packing away afterwards. We really appreciate even the small things that people do to help us with our events.
1. Hidden Valley Duathlon, 6.1km run, 20km bike, 3.2km run
Male: Marcus Lisle 1.06.16 Female: Stef Puszka 1.12.07
Full Results see attached
Short Option 3.2km run, 11.6km bike, 3.2km run
1 Team Charlie/Will Birk 52.49; 2 Bertram Birk 55.51; 3 Shelly Fletcher 58.34; 4 Barry Smart 1.06.38; 5 Diane McGregor 1.15.32
2. Frankfurter Sparkasse Ironman European Championships, 3.8km swim, 180km bike, 42.2km run
Male: Marino Vanhoenacker 8.03.31 Female: Caroline Steffen 8.52.38
Matt Redmond 364th M35-39 12.41.09
3. Challenge Roth, 3.8km swim, 180km bike, 42.2km run
Male: James Cunnama 7.59.59 Female: Rachel Joyce 8.45.04
4. Ironman 70.3 Muncie, course reduced due to an Excessive Heat Warning issued by The National Weather Service
Male: Greg Bennett 2.00.24 Female: Kelly Williamson 2.10.53
5. Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Male: Paul Ambrose 3.54.29 Female: Caitlin Snow 4.32.50
6. Rev3 Portland Half, USA, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Male: Richie Cunningham 4.00.38 Female: Angela Naeth 4.27.27
Stu Fitch 1st M55-59 5.20.44
7. Ironman 70.3 Haugesund, Norway, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Male: Filip Ospaly 3.47.22 Female: Mary Ellis 4.16.09
8. Holten ITU Triathlon Premium European Cup, 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run
Male: Gregor Buchholz (GER) 1.46.37 Female: Rachel Klamer 2.00.29
Sunday 29 July 2012
1.5km swim, 13km bike, 5km run or 300m swim, 13km bike, 2km run
(Equal points for both distances)
Race Director: Grant Preddy
Registration: Marcus Lisle / Judith Caball
Timekeeping: Leigh Milne / Naomi Milne
Fruit / Ice: Lauren Stephenson
FINLAY’S NT LONG COURSE TRIATHLON:
1. Lake Bennett on Sunday 26 August 2012 commencing at 7am.
2. Entry (& further information) for Finlay’s NT Long Course Triathlon is now open online here.
3. Extra volunteers are required for this event. If you can assist, please contact Jason Jones direct on 0439 885 797.
FOR SALE / WANTED ETC:
1. WANTED: Road bike to suit new female member. Contact Shelly 0413 336 736
2. FOR SALE: Shoes - Saucony Kinvara 2 - brand new. US 8.5 ladies (would suit usual US 8 size feet) I always wear 8.5 but Saucony is on the small side. Funky colour - purple & lime green. Excellent shoes - Google the reviews. Bargain $70 – Contact Sue 0402 795 558
2. Items for next E News by tomorrow 8pm please.
1. Our sincere sympathy to the Ellison family. News came through yesterday that Max passed away peacefully around midday. Funeral arrangements are being finalised.
2. Up until a couple of years ago Max was a regular starter in our events. A great volunteer and an wonderful person, Max will be sorely missed by family and his many friends, including those at our club.
3. At a happier family occasion last week, Max was present to celebrate Tim & Bec’s wedding and was able to catch up with many relatives and friends.
4. Every time I mention chilly weather in Darwin in the E News I get emails from our friends down south. This one from Kym Meaney just has to be shared.
Please, don't start with "Chilly Weather", come to Adelaide for a week! When I ride into work in the morning I wear: 1. Bike Knicks plus long thick Knicks; 2. Thick socks, Bike shoes and shoe covers (thick); 3. Singlet or T-shirt, Bike top, Long sleeve pull on arms (thick); 4. Wind breaker top; 5. Thick full fingered gloves; 6. Thick ear covering head wrap; 7. Helmet and Glasses
Yes I know my face is exposed :) but I can remember only once in 4 years living in Darwin that I put my arm warmers on early one morning for about 500m then I took a serious look at myself and knew it would just get warmer J Here the temperature can drop on you anytime throughout the day, that never happened in Darwin!
5. Kym says to enjoy the dry, he’ll be up in September to remove some Barra from the Top End in his secret spots J
6. Turns out Raz de Jongh’s technical course & exam prior to the Holten event was in English. Raz was on duty at the swim start and during the race was to be in Transition. She says that’s better than somewhere like the penalty box. It was a long day with a number of starts for the different races, men/women elite, age groupers, juniors, duathlon and a few more. Raz is looking forward to sharing her experience with DTC members.
7. Finlay’s NT Long Course Triathlon individual entries have overtaken that of last year already.
8. If you are hankering to wear the green and gold, it is a selection points event for 2013 ITU Long Distance Triathlon World Championships to be held in Belfort, France early in June.
9. Speaking of green & gold, Steve Goat and Shaye Hatty have their Oz uniforms. They qualified for 2012 ITU LD C’ships in Spain later this month at Finlay’s Long Course last year.
10. It’s time to sign up to join or renew your Darwin Triathlon Club membership for 2012/2013 online here. Check Triathlon NT as your state association and then Darwin Triathlon Club as your club.
Membership fees are Seniors (20+) $120; Juniors (6-18) $ 60; Family (2 Seniors + up to 2 Juniors) $280. If you haven’t yet renewed your membership, we urge you to do so immediately.
Darwin Triathlon Club