Don’t look now but the month is almost over, which means we are rapidly heading toward Finlay’s NT Long Course Triathlon. Do hope your training is going well. Judging by some of the action at the weekend, many of our members are putting in some serious training time and reaping the benefits at our shorter events. Great to see!
Entry for the Long Course can be done online here. Our entry numbers are already up on last year so it’s going to be a fantastic day’s racing. Don’t miss out, get your entry in now.
Our event at Lake Alexander yesterday was held in perfect conditions. There were only a couple of grumbles about the early morning chill but those rugged up were mainly concerned that the midges might be out.
A big thank you to our race director Grant Preddy for his efforts to stage this event. The brain gym again challenged some at the race brief and it was great to see people asking for further clarification. That’s the place to do it. If you don’t understand an instruction, please feel free (and we encourage you) to put up your hand & say so!
Grant was assisted by a team of wonderful volunteers on the day. We sincerely appreciate their efforts and willingness to help out at our events. Again, if everyone takes a turn at a roster duty during the year and all competitors assist with set up and clean up, things go very smoothly.
We were pleased to welcome a number of new members yesterday. Chatting to them after the race and from the mile wide smiles, they will be back.
1. Triathlon, Lake Alexander 1.5km swim, 13km bike, 5km run
Male: Brett Verity 57.59 Female: Michelle Wu 1.04.30
Short: 300m swim, 13km bike, 2.5km run
Male: Justin Tranter 37.34 Female: Robyn Stanley 49.11
Provisional results attached. Finish times and order are fine but due to the event crossovers yesterday we have some gaps in timing. Please email here if you can assist with splits.
2. ITU Long Distance World Championships, Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain 4km swim, 120km bike, 30km run
Male: Chris McCormack 5.29.47 Female: Caroline Steffen 6.04.17
Steve Goat 64th M30-34 7.27.39
Shaye Hatty 15th F40-44 8.07.21
3. Ironman 70.3 Calgary, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Male: Rasmus Henning 3.51.02 Female: Magali Tisseyre 4.17.24
PRESENTATION NIGHT FUNCTION:
1. Tickets are still on sale online here $25 Members (12+) includes drink voucher; $35 Non-member guests includes drink voucher; $15 Juniors Under 12 (no voucher)
2. Please assist volunteers by getting your tickets asap.
FOR SALE / WANTED ETC:
1. TEAM MEMBER WANTED: Road bike leg available for anyone who wants to join a fun team of 3 for the Katherine Ultra challenge, Sunday 5th Aug. It’s 43km and I have a spare 52cm road bike if anyone needs to borrow it. Contact Nic 0402 838 152
2. Items for next E News by 8pm tomorrow please.
1. Tweeting has been blamed for messing up the coverage of the road race at the Olympics. More here.
2. Cadel out of the Olympic time trial. Anyone surprised?
3. Speedy recovery wishes heading Haydn Whitty’s way. Haydn took a mtb tumble over the weekend and ended up with a clavicle fracture. Not good news the weekend before KUC.
4. Good to see Scott Bevis in the field again yesterday. With imminent arrival of bub 2, Scott crossed the finish line & headed straight for home.
5. Sarah Collins has finally unpacked the bike post Cairns IM.
6. Caring cycling community. Every rider who went past a group changing a flat asked if everything was OK. I like that.
7. Michelle Wu, who joined us for a hit out at our event yesterday, has qualified 7th for Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Vegas. Congrats Michelle.
8. Those doing the Katherine Ultra Challenge this weekend are getting excited. Pete Brady is lining up for his 10th Ultra. Wow!
YOU KNOW YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE WHEN …
… your windtrainer is the first item packed for your camping trip
… you already have your TV set to record the Olympic triathlons
… you checked prov. Results before reading the rest of the E News
Darwin Triathlon Club