Our annual sprint series kicked off in grand style at Robertson Barracks on Sunday. Competitors were enthusiastic in their praise for the venue which proved to be very fast and most importantly, very safe for participants.
Our thanks to Race Director Glen Scholz who did the lion’s share to organise this event on our behalf. We would also like to thank Major Matt Lewis OC C COY 5 RAR at Robertson Barracks for his valuable assistance.
We are hopeful this may be the first of more events to be held at this excellent facility.
As well as our roster and on day volunteers, members of the Army were on hand to marshall on the bike course and man the water stops. It was great to have extra eyes and hands available and we hope we may have inspired those ADF members on the sidelines to come and participate at one of our events in the near future. Again, thanks to all our volunteers – our events rely on you all and the club appreciates all efforts.
1. Race 1 Sprint Series, Robertson Barracks, 600m swim, 22km bike, 5km run
Male: Brett Verity 59.08 Female: Emma Winterflood 1.11.14
Provisional results on website Final results will be posted asap.
2. Race 1 Short Option, Robertson Barracks, 300m swim, 11km bike, 2.5km run
Male: Mark Odgaard 44.09 Female: Vicki Woodrow 41.17
Results on website
3. Victor Harbor Triathlon, SA, 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run
Male: Matty White 1.56.44 Female: Sam Boag 2.13.27
Stef Puszka 3rd Open/Elite F 2.19.18
Rob Weatherald 1st M50-54 2.17.43
Billy Lynch M30-34 dnf
IMPORTANT JUNIOR NEWS:
1. Junior coordinator Jason Jones advises that the junior event for our younger members scheduled for 24 March has been changed to THIS SUNDAY 17 March 13 at Lake Alexander commencing at 8am.
2. We will maintain the final race of the series on the 27 April 2013 in conjunction with the Adult Teams Event. We’ll arrange junior teams and shorter distances. This will conclude with a BBQ and presentation of participating medals after proceedings.
Sunday 24 March 2013
Race 2 Sprint Series (incorporating NT Junior Triathlon Championships for 13+)
750m swim, 26km bike, 5km run
(Short option & NT Junior Triathlon C’ships: 300m swim, 13km bike, 2.5km run)
Race Director: Brian Gallagher
Registration: Steve Goat / Geri Ford
Timekeeping: Jodie McLeod / Bianca May
Fruit / Ice: Kylie Gaffel
1. In a change from previously advertised, committee has set up online registration for this event.
2. Registration is open online here $7.50
3. Online entry closes midday Friday 22 March 2013 or earlier if maximum numbers are reached, so get your entry in now.
4. Juniors wishing to enter NT Junior Triathlon Championships should have necessary cycle skills to ride on open roads.
5. Juniors should enter online here and select short option.
RAY WHITE DARWIN NT SPRINT DISTANCE CHAMPIONSHIPS:
1. Online entry is also open here now for the Ray White Darwin NT Sprint Distance Triathlon Championships (Sunday 7 April 2013).
2. Only first 100 entries receive goodie bags so get your entry in quick as there are not many spots left.
3. This is a TA National Qualifying event for ITU Age Group Sprint World Championships in London later this year and we will once again have interstate competitors in the field.
4. This is a great opportunity for our members to qualify for the Australian team. Expressions of interest close shortly. Further information here.
FOR SALE, WANTED ETC:
1. WANTED: Road bike to suit a female 172cm. Contact Berky 0439 993 415
2. Items for next E News by 8pm Sunday please.
1. If you (or someone you know) is heading to Mooloolaba this weekend can you let us know by return email. Makes athlete tracking for results so much easier if we have a heads up.
2. Our younger junior members participating in the junior series please note change of date. You will be in action at Lake Alexander THIS SUNDAY morning 8am.
3. Stork has been: congratulations to Triathlon NT treasurer Damien Brown and Lizzy Grylls on the recent arrival of son Felix. Mum and baby both well.
4. Emma Cook is looking every inch ready to tackle Ironman Melbourne. So to Heath Porter and Luke Hansen. Haven’t spotted the others for a while but no doubt they are in form as well. Only 10 days to go!
5. If you are looking to upgrade your bike now is a great time to do it. Both Cycle Zone and Blue Cycles have sales happening – check them out and support the stores that support us.
6. After some recent attacks on women (while running and cycling) we would like to encourage all our members to be safe out there while training. Where possible avoid training alone and be aware of your surroundings at all times.
7. We farewelled Pete Brady on Sunday. Pete is making the move to Yeppoon and his laid back style and competitiveness will be missed. Pete went out in grand fashion – checked in late and then smashed himself to win his age category. All the best with your move Pete, hope you will be back to visit us occasionally.
8. Also farewelled Belinda Doyle and family who have relocated south.
9. On the up side we have attracted a large number of new members and they are loving our events. We take this opportunity to welcome you all to the club and if you are yet to compete at one of our events, we hope to see you soon.
Darwin Triathlon Club