The juniors enjoyed their tri at Lake Alexander yesterday morning. At this later stage of their calendar, they are demonstrating great tri skills and are indeed very proficient (I saw some mounts and dismounts yesterday that would cause some of our senior members to blush!). That’s all thanks mainly to Jason Jones & John Thyne who have patiently guided the juniors through their skill sessions and at events.
Thanks to Jason, John and swim buoy extraordinaire, Belinda Rowley and all the other wonderful volunteers who helped out yesterday. (See also Jason’s junior report below).
1. Mooloolaba ITU Triathlon World Cup, 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run
Male: Javier Gomez 1.54.32 Female: Anne Haug 2.03.31
2. Mooloolaba Triathlon, 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run
Male: Ben Cook 1.56.08 Female: Anita Green 2.06.43
Leigh Milne 187th M35-39 2.43.13
Julian Gaudin 24th F20-24 2.52.09
Kate Richardson 43rd F35-39 2.54.37
Naomi Milne 100th F30-34 3.10.47
Renae McGarvie F30-34 tbc
2. Ironman 70.3 San Juan, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Male: Andrew Starykowicz 3.50.12 Female: Helle Frederickson 4.11.35
3. Ironman Los Cabos, 3.8km swim, 180km bike, 42.2km run
Male: Timo Bracht 8.26.48 Female: Erika Csomor 9.35.34
Sunday 24 March 2013
Race 2 Sprint Series (incorporating NT Junior Triathlon Championships for 13+)
750m swim, 26km bike, 5km run
(Short option & NT Junior Triathlon C’ships: 300m swim, 13km bike, 2.5km run)
Race Director: Col Smith
Registration: Steve Goat / Geri Ford
Timekeeping: Jodie McLeod / Bianca May
Fruit / Ice: Kylie Gaffel
1. In a change from previously advertised, committee has set up online registration for this event.
2. Registration is open online here $7.50
3. Online entry closes midday Friday 22 March 2013 or earlier if maximum numbers are reached, so get your entry in now.
4. Juniors (13+) wishing to enter NT Junior Triathlon Championships should have necessary cycle skills to ride on open roads.
5. Juniors should enter online here and select short option.
JASON’S JUNIOR REPORT:
We had a fantastic turn out yesterday morning for our second last event of the season, held at Lake Alexander.
Again, all participants were put through a rigorous warm up/skills session prior to racing.
We then had a 2 race sprint event for each junior category (Seniors/Juniors/Sub Juniors). Time handicaps were given after completing the first race to provide an incentive for all competitors. The first race was led by the seniors with some very fast and efficient transitions showing the younger ones how it’s done. The juniors had the greatest numbers and therefore a congested swim leg. Things spread out through the 1st transition onto the bike with a flurry of sprint finishers on the shortened run course.
A special mention to Aida Hansen, the only Sub Junior today who managed to pass a few Juniors in the first race even after starting after them!
The handicapper had the stopwatch out with all splits taken to stagger start the 2nd Race hoping to get a 'pack' finish.
Interesting to see the back markers from the first race embrace the early start and never look back as they relegated the quicker pacesetters to the middle of the pack.
Great to see we had 8 families with 2 or more brothers/sisters competing today. Also waiting on the sidelines were some younger siblings (too young to compete) either watching/cheering or at the swings waiting for the post race refreshments and frozen poppa's!!!
Next race for all the juniors is the Teams Event on the 28 April 2013 starting at 7:30am. This is held in conjunction with the adults race so to avoid parking congestion please to arrive by 7am.
The bike course for the juniors will be cross country so no Road Bikes please. We'll organise Junior Teams during our regular warm up session. We will complete proceedings with a sausage sizzle and junior participation medal presentation.
FOR SALE / WANTED ETC:
1. FOR SALE: Cervelo 2012 S5 White with Sram Rival gearing and Fulcrum Racing T wheels, 56cm frame, in great condition only 4 months old, selling it as I have grown out of it. Asking $3200 ONO
Contact Joseph: 0478 825 549
2. FOR SALE: Size 54 Felt road bike for sale (4yo). In good condition a few marks, yellow in colour, two cages, pump, running Shimano 105 gears, near new Reynolds Shadow wheels (500 kms approx), carbon forks and rear, due for a service but is perfect for the beginner. $600.00 Contact Greg: 0406 704 006
3. WANTED CHILD MINDER FOR NT SPRINT: An interstate competitor has sent this in hoping someone may be available. “We are coming up to your sprint race on Sunday 7th April. We are looking for a babysitter/ nanny/ keen Mum to mind our 11 month old baby whilst we are both doing the triathlon. She will be accompanied by her three brothers (9, 9 and 12) who are actually quite capable of looking after her, but in the interests of not being arrested by the Department of Human Services, we’d like to employ an adult!!!! The boys are quite capable of managing themselves, so the care provider wouldn’t need to worry too much about them. Is there anyone at your club who is not competing who is a school teacher, childcare professional, babysitter, nanny, etc who would be available to mind Lucy whilst we are doing the race? We would bring all kids to the race and meet you there, about an hour before start. $25 per hour” Contact Sam 0409 253 883
4. Items for next E News by 8pm Sunday please.
1. Local date claimer: NT Long Course Triathlon 25 August 2013, 2km swim, 60km bike, 16km run, Lake Bennett
2. Tara Worby is sporting road (or is that path) rash after taking a tumble while out running. We wish Tara a speedy recovery.
3. Frustration for Renae McGarvie, who lost her timing chip at Mooloolaba Triathlon yesterday, as her pb is not yet showing up in results.
4. Countdown time for those Ironman Melbourne bound members. Emma Cook, Bryan Hopkins, Luke Hansen, Sarah Collins, Heath Porter, Nathan Dwyer, Tim Eadie & Angelika Hannon are amongst those Victoria bound. We wish them good weather and good luck, enjoy! You can track their progress on race day at www.ironman.com
5. Registration for Sunday’s (Race 2 Sprint) event is creeping towards max numbers. Don’t forget it closes when full or midday Friday. No late entries taken. Get your registration done online here now so you don’t miss out.
6. Online entry is also open here now for the Ray White Darwin NT Sprint Distance Triathlon Championships (Sunday 7 April 2013). Only first 100 entries receive goodie bags so get your entry in quick as there are not many left. This is also likely to fill to capacity prior to closing date so please get your entry in asap.
7. A good news story – many of you will remember the very enthusiastic Malo Gilly who honed his tri skills at our junior events last season. Malo recently took out the 7-9 yrs category of the Gatorade Junior Series in Qld. Well done Malo – it has to be due to great start in tri that he got here in Darwin!
YOU KNOW YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE WHEN …
... the sight of broken glass on the road sends shivers up your spin
... pancakes sound good regardless of the time of day
... you read all the food labels at the supermarket
Darwin Triathlon Club