The NT Olympic Distance Triathlon Championships got underway just before sun up on Saturday morning. This proved very popular with competitors as it meant they were finished before the real heat kicked in.
Our thanks to Race Director Matt Brearley (suitably attired in tie) for his considerable effort, Dave Glass & Phill Hatty for their very early start & willingness to help with set up, Surf Life volunteers who were on hand again for water safety, St John Ambulance volunteers who attended and all our wonderful volunteers who helped on the day. Again, it is our volunteers who help make our events happen and we couldn’t do it without you!
1. NT Olympic Distance Triathlon Championships, 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run
Male: Brett Verity 1.55.34 Female: Michelle Gailey 2.05.59
Full results posted here
16-19: Joel Kay
20-24: Julia Gaudin
25-29: Tim Green / Stef Puszka
30-34: John Arrigo / Lisa Heames
35-39: Brett Verity / Emma Cook
40-44: Aaron Trenfield / Tara Worby
45-49: Ron Griep / Belinda Birk
50-54: Rob Weatherald / Rose Stephens
55-59: Stu Fitch / Vicki Woodrow
60-64: Daryl Stanley
2. Ironman 70.3 Busselton, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Male: Brad Kahlefeld 3.45.39 Female: Rachel Smith 4.17.53
Russell Peacock M30-34 7th 4.23.05
Mark Anzin M40-44 20th 4.40.16
Ian Norton M40-44 24th 4.41.59
Dale Berk M40-44 41st 4.52.42
Phil Blumberg M55-59 20th 5.23.13
Geri Ford F25-29 30th 5.30.22
Olivia Schmidt F35-39 48th 6.16.33
Holly Witney-Wylde F25-29 68th 6.35.49
Ben Schmidt dnf
3. Ironman 70.3 Mallorca, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Male: Eneko Llanos 3.52.36 Female: Lisa Hutthaler 4.24.25
4. ITU WTS Yokohama, 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run
Male: Jonathan Brownlee 1.44.59 Female: Gwen Jorgensen 1.57.05
1. Due to unforeseen circumstances we are now looking for a couple of people to step up and volunteer for the positions of Equipment Officer and Secretary.
2. Please email here to volunteer or if would like further information able these rewarding positions.
3. Alternatively have a chat to Glen Scholz or Renee de Jong about what they currently do in those roles.
4. After a couple of season’s leading the junior program Jason Jones will be stepping down as coordinator. We will be looking to fill this position at our next AGM. Again, if this sounds like something you would like to assist with, have a chat to Jason sometime soon.
5. Our annual Presentation Night Dinner takes place on Saturday 10 August 2013, 6.30pm at Nightcliff Sports Club. Tickets now available here.
Sunday 26 May 2013
Open Water Triathlon
500m swim, 15km bike, 4km run
Race Director: Glen Scholz
Registration: Lisa Heames / Ron Griep
Timekeeping: Ron Griep / Chloe Kay
Fruit / Ice: Jacqui Brown
1. In line with our previous other club open water triathlons, TA rule compliant wetsuits will be allowed for this event.
FOR SALE / WANTED ETC:
1. FOR SALE: BIG FOOT! Size US14 pair of ON joggers, & pair of Specialized Expert (tri-vent) bike shoes. Minimal use. Bike shoes suit narrower foot. $40 each. Gift. Contact Stu 0418 437 075.
2. Items for next E News by 8pm Sunday please.
INTERESTED IN BECOMING A TRIATHLON COACH?:
1. Triathlon NT Junior Development Manager Tim Ellison is seeking interested persons to undertake the Development Coach course.
2. Theory components are completed online and practical assessment components can be ticked off at the upcoming June Junior Development Camp.
3. For further information on the course or to register your interest, please email Tim here.
1. Great to see Alice Springs guns Kevin Coyle and Fiona Collier make the journey to Darwin for the NT Olympic Distance. Hopefully the Alice mob will be targeting our Finlay’s NT Long Course Triathlon (25 August 2013) as well and we will see some representatives at that (just saying).
2. A number of people were doing their very first OD event on Saturday. Among them was Rachel Bament. Not only did she make the distance, along the way she raised $1000 for SIDS as well.
3. News in about a couple of injuries. Bec Ellison not a happy camper after coming off her bike on a reccy ride yesterday in Alice Springs. Closer to home Tara Worby is spending some time at RDH for observation after coming down in the rain this morning. We wish both girls a speedy recovery.
4. Congrats to Moira Wigley and Ron Griep (Team Moiron). They defended their Duo 20km title in record time at the recent Lake Argyle Swim.
5. If you have workmates or friends who wish to “tri” point them in the direction of the SBJF Corporate Triathlon coming up on 29 June 2013. It’s a doable individual or team effort of 300m swim, 10km ride, 3km run and all funds raised go to Royal Flying Doctor Service. More info and how to enter here.
6. Good to have DTC pro Michelle Gailey in the field on Saturday. Michelle is back for an extended block of training before heading off to some Asian events. Michelle became a three time NT OD champion adding to her previous wins in 2008 and 2010.
7. Brett Verity notched win number 4 at Olympic distance. His previous wins were in 2001, 2002 and 2012.
8. After months of training, a number of our members are heading to the Blue Mountains in NSW to tackle the North Face 100 at the weekend including David McLeod, Shaye Hatty and Jason Jones.
9. Giving the North Face 50 a crack will be Clare Labowitch, Angelika Hannon, Shoanne Labowitch and Kirrily Jones.
10. We wish all 100km & 50km racers mild conditions and safe racing.
Darwin Triathlon Club