The pace was pretty hectic over the weekend with the Ironman Cairns and 70.3 Cairns crew putting final touches to their training, members dashing off for the Cycle Zone 3 Hour MTB, the City2Surf and a zillion social functions.
Dry season weather – simply the best!
1. ITU World Long Distance Triathlon C’ships, Belfort France – 9.7km run, 87km bike, 20km run (swim cancelled due to extreme weather conditions)
Male: Betrand Billard (FRA) 4.08.45 Female: Melissa Hauschildt (AUS) 4.42.38
John Arrigo 8th M30-34 4.47.34
Corinne Fabian 10th F55-59 7.53.34
2. Ironman 70.3 Hawaii, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Male: Craig Alexander (AUS) 4.05.43 Female: Belinda Granger 4.44.36
Chloe Kay 37th F25-29 7.56.22
3. Coral Coast 5150, 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run
Male: Clayton Fettell 1.44.33 Female: Emma Moffatt 1.54.15
4. City 2 Surf, 12.2km run
Male: Michael Marantelli 41.43 Female: Lucie Hardiman 49.24
Due to high number of late entries, results not yet available.
5. Mini Surfer, 4km
Male: William McLay 14.28 Female: Sarah Lowden 16.50
6. ITU WTS Madrid, 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run
Male: Jonathan Brownlee (GBR) 1.50.42 Female: Non Stanford (GBR) 2.04.39
7. Ironman 70.3 Raleigh, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Male: Greg Bennett 3.51.24 Female: Laura Bennett 4.17.18
8. Ironman 70.3 Switzerland
Event cancelled during ride following landslide.
Sunday 16 June 2013
Race 1 Duathlon Series
2km run, 15km bike, 2km run
Race Director: Ron Griep
Registration: Justin Tranter / Corinne Fabian
Timekeeping: Stef Puszka / Justin Tranter
Fruit / Ice: Jason & Emma Cook
FOR SALE/ WANTED ETC:
1. FOUND: Sunglasses x 2 Email here if you have lost yours
2. WANTED: Team runner for each of the upcoming duathlons. Contact Barry 8923 4929
3. Items for next E News or requests for repeats by 8pm Sunday please.
1. John Arrigo and Corinne Fabian got a firsthand taste the weather can have on our sport. Even they would spare a thought for those competing in Ironman 70.3 Switzerland. It had also been changed to a duathlon and the whole field of more than 2,300 athletes was out on the bike course when the race had to be cancelled for safety reasons after a landslide. Thankfully no one was hurt.
2. John Arrigo was the toast of the Australian team after posting the fastest Oz male time of the day at Belfort, France.
3. Lake Alexander has reopened for swimming.
4. Tickets for our annual Presentation Night Dinner (Nightcliff Sports Club, 6.30pm Saturday 10 August 2013) are now on sale here.
5. Please forward any nominations for Dag of the Year and/or Broken Spoke (crash) by email here. These awards are among those handed out at our Presentation Night Dinner. All sources are confidential so if you have witnessed a daggy deed or a bike crash by one of our members in 2012/2013 feel free to nominate them now.
6. We have a large contingent of members heading for Ironman Cairns including Grant Preddy, Phil Blumberg, Tom O’Neil, Stef Puszka, Damien Staunton, Hadyn Whitty, Simon Casey. Sinon Cooney,Pieter Jordaan,
Caroline Elliott, Kent Murray, Steve Goat, Luke Hansen, Marcus Lisle, Rowan Beggs-French and Michelle Gailey. A couple of recent withdrawals proved how hard it is to make the start line. Good luck to all, may the weather gods be kind on race day.
7. Almost as many are going over for IM 70.3 Cairns including Derek Cross, Renee de Jong, Jo Ellis, Kerry Grace, Justin Tranter, Tori Sherrock, David Glass, Joy Glass, Billy Lynch, Julia Gaudin, Nicola Hoey and Naomi Milne. Good luck to the “halfers” also.
8. Our deepest sympathy to Raz de Jongh on the recent loss of her mother.
9. If you have family, friends or workmates who wish to “tri”, point them in the direction of the SBJF Corporate Triathlon scheduled for Saturday 29 June 2013. It’s a doable individual or team effort of 300m swim, 10km ride, 3km run and all funds raised go to Royal Flying Doctor Service. Anyone can enter. More info and how to enter here.
Darwin Triathlon Club