Our aquathlon on Saturday evening was the perfect way for the club to launch 2014. It was wet, it was a little wild and it was a lot of fun.
Given the conditions, it was also quite a challenge for Race Director Daryl Stanley to set up and we thank him hugely for his efforts. Our other fantastic volunteers were also on the damp side at the end of the evening and they too are sincerely thanked for their efforts.
Our new online registration worked extremely well and certainly streamlined check in for those racing and also our check in volunteers.
We acknowledge some missed the cut off for entry and were disappointed to miss out. Please check close of entry dates and times carefully for each event as these are strictly adhered to.
Our next event is open to those wishing to “try to tri” before joining the club so we suggest you enter early to avoid disappointment.
1. Aquathlon #1, Lake Alexander 400m swim, 4km run
Male: Tim Green Female: Stef Puszka
Results not yet available
2. Challenge Wanaka NZ, 3.8km swim, 180km bike, 42.2km run
Male: Dylan McNeice 8.38.48 Female: Candice Hammond 9.33.54
Kent Murray M20-29 dnf
3. Challenge Wanaka Half NZ, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Male: Bevan McKinnon 4.27.31 Female: Larisa Marsh 4.53.33
Kia King 2nd F18-24 5.36.51
4. Ironman 70.3 Auckland NZ, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Male: Jan Frodeno 3.45.39 Female: Catriona Morrison 4.14.41
1 Feb 2014
1 Feb 2014
Aquathlon #2 (Inc NT Aquathlon Championships)
400m swim, 4km run
Online entry for members now open here
This event is open to non-members wishing to “try a tri” before joining.
Entry for “try a tri” individual and teams opens Monday 27 Jan 2014.
FOR SALE | WANTED ETC:
1. CLUB TRI GEAR STOCKTAKE SALE: 1 x Large Men's Tri Pants $79.00; 1 x Medium Men's Tri Pants $79.00; 1 x Large Men's Swimmers $35.00; 2 x Small Ladies Cycle Top $85.00;
Visor $25.00; Caps $25.00 Email here
2. Items for E News by 8pm Sunday please.
1. It was pretty chilly over in NZ at the weekend. Kent Murray got through 160+ kms on the bike at Challenge Wanaka before hypothermia set in requiring treatment. Kent has warmed up now and is busy scouring the calendar for a warm weather race.
2. We continue to farewell members who are heading off in all directions including this week - Rowan Beggs-French, Nikki Roddie and Julia Gaudin. Pretty sure they will continue to wear their club colours at events in their new locations! We wish them all the best and hope to see them back in Darwin sometime in the future. Darwin Long Course perhaps?
3. Some check in chit chat at the weekend. Are we doing an aquath–lon or an aqua-thon? Triathlon Australia is the official National Sporting Organisation responsible for the management and delivery of the sports of triathlon, duathlon, aquathlon and multisport within Australia. So they go with aquathlon. Our world body ITU also refers to aquathlon.
4. Congratulations to Ali and Stu Fitch on the birth of their little tri baby Leilani Kristin who arrived yesterday.
5. Good luck to Julia Gaudin and Corinne Fabian who are among those competing in the Australia Day Swim at Lane Cove in Sydney at the weekend.
6. Speaking of Australia Day, here in Darwin the Australia Day Fun Run (2.5km or 5km) is a favourite way to start the day.
Darwin Triathlon Club