E NEWS 2 DECEMBER 2015
Our Christmas Splash N Dash is always fun and this year we were back to Nightcliff Pool where the big revamp of the area continues.
We had to do some quick thinking to manage the course when promised gate access wasn't available, but that was all easily sorted and added to the event.
Thanks to the enthusiasm of the adults and juniors alike, the joint relay was definitely the highlight with plenty of high fives happening afterwards!
A huge shout out to RD Rob Weatherald, Junior Coordinator Mel Lind, water safety provider Tania Sloane, Denise, Tim, Diane, Clare & Moira and to the many other volunteers who contributed to the success of this joint senior/junior event. Thank you!
With Christmas rapidly approaching many of our members depart Darwin & scatter in all directions over the coming weeks.
President Tony Cox and the Darwin Triathlon Club committee would like to take this opportunity to thank our all members who have participated in our events this year; the wonderful volunteers who willingly give of their time so members can race; the coaches who have continued to assist members to achieve their goals and major sponsors who have contributed to our events (inc Ray White Bayside, Cycle Zone Darwin and Blue Cycles) - together we have had another fantastic year of triathlon and we look forward to bringing you more of the same in 2016.
We hope you all have a safe and happy festive season.
1. Christmas Splash n Dash, 1km run, 200m swim, 1km run, 200m swim, 1km run (or thereabouts).
Female: Rachel McLean 23:01 Male: Steve Goat 23:16
Sunday 24 January 2016
750m swim, 5km run
Race Director: Clare Labowitch
Registration: Diane Napier | Vacant
Fruit | Ice: Jo Duncan
Online entry open here
1. It is race week countdown for our latest Ironman entrants. We have Bernie Wilson, Alex Murdock, Jemma McWiggan, Gary Wall, Jon Clark and Peter Novak lining up at Ironman WA this weekend. Good luck!!
2. Later this month Dan Holmes, Nick Hubbard & Tim Green are on the list for Ironman 70.3 Ballarat. Have a good day out!.
3. CEO Triathlon Australia Miles Stewart was in town this week & met with Triathlon NT & club reps.
4. WTC announced the demise of Ironman Japan this week. To soften the blow, Japanese competitors will have 30 extra Kona slots allocated at Ironman Cairns.
5. Wanting something special from your local bike shop for Christmas? Avoid disappointment by getting in there now before the racks and/or shelves are empty, they are busy, busy. Probably still time to order in some of those go faster items, just!
6. Shaye Hatty made the NT News this week.
7. Triathlon NT Adult Beginner session is Sunday.
8. Lots of members spotted at the annual Santa Fun Run at the weekend.
PIC OF THE WEEK:
Synchronised pool exiting
This is the last E News for 2015, I hope you have enjoyed it as much as I have bringing it to you.
Thanks to those members who have contributed items during the year, love getting your contributions & heads up on who is racing where & when.
E News will return in the New Year. Announcements, updates and news will continue through our Facebook page, Twitter and our website so do check in regularly.
Darwin Triathlon Club
Wednesday, 2 December 2015
Wednesday, 25 November 2015
Friday, 20 November 2015
E NEWS - 20 NOV 2015
We continue our wet season Aquathlon Series tomorrow evening with event #2 taking place at the Waterfront. Are you on the competitor list yet? You can check that here.
Our distance this week is 200m swim, 2km run x 3.
Some have already indicated that they would prefer to complete only two of the three and that's fine.
If you give us a heads up prior to the event and make sure the last thing you do is cross the timing mat, we can accommodate this in results.
Likewise if you want to give it a go and one swim, run seems enough, that's fine as well.
Again, enter the event as normal and let us know beforehand.
1. Ironman Malaysia, 3.8km swim, 180km bike, 42.2km run
Emily Heames 4th F25-29 13:05:02
Sarah Collins 4th F55-59 13:26:07
2. Yungaburra Triathlon, 1.5km swim, 90km bike, 10km run
Tim Green 2nd Open Male 2:12:21
3. 12HR Endurance Run
Saturday 21 November 2015
6pm (registration closes 5:45pm sharp)
200m swim, 2km run x 3
Entry now open here
Race Director: Brian Gallagher
Registration: Diane Napier | Dan Homes
Fruit | Ice: Diane Napier
CLUB TRI GEAR ORDER:
1. Part of our tri gear order has just arrived & the rest will be here next week. As soon as they are sorted and packed, an email will be sent giving collection options.
1. Our members pop up everywhere. David Panjer latest in the Nine News.
2. Junior member Matt Ellison has been named joint male winner of 2015 NTIS Carbine Club Personal Excellence Award.
3. A big thank you to John Cowie who nominated the club when he took part in the recent Super Sunday Bike Count. John ended up doing four hours (long story) but as a result, the club will receive a $120 donation. Thanks John!
4. Dan Revie is heading over the ditch for the Queenstown Marathon this weekend. Good luck!
5. Ironman Cairns announced as Asia-Pacific Championships for the next three years with 75 age group slots
6. Entry closes this evening for Aquathlon #2.
PIC OF THE WEEK:
opportunities at our Waterfront events
Wednesday, 11 November 2015
Wednesday, 4 November 2015
E NEWS 4 NOVEMBER 2016
We have thunderstorms predicted over the coming days so it's no surprise that our wet season Aquathlon / Splash N Dash events get started this weekend with the running of our popular 200m swim, 2km run x 2 format at the Waterfront.
You don't need your alarm clock (start time 6pm) and you can leave your bike at home, so how easy is that?
We know some of our members may not be up for the x 2, but don't be shy, form a team or just enter and let us know at check in that you are only doing 200/2.
1. Noosa Triathlon, 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run
Rob Taylor 13th M30-34 2:12:05
Greg Bush 1st M60-64 2:19:58
Tim Wolf 47th M30-34 2:20:36
Saturday 7 November 2015
6pm (check in closes 5:45pm sharp)
200m swim, 2km run x 2
Entry now open here
As we have a 6pm start on Saturday, entry for this event will close at 8pm Friday evening. Why wait? Get your entry in for any of the next three events now using the above link.
Race Director: Roger Decurtins
Registration: Louise Lamb | Amy Declouett
Fruit | Ice: Russell Peacock
1. Torso must be covered during the run leg.
2. Being at the Waterfront, this event puts us in the public eye a little more than usual and we ask your assistance in making sure we leave the area rubbish free.
Saturday 7 November 2015
Our juniors are also having a swim/run event on at the Waterfront this Saturday.
Event details will be forwarded by email from our junior co-ordinator Mel Lind or you can contact her at
FOR SALE, WANTED ETC:
1. A number of new bargain & found items have been added to our DARWIN TRI - BUY | SWAP | SELL | WANTED Facebook page.
1. Have you completed the NT Sport & Active Recreation Master Plan Survey yet? Let them know what you would like to see! I'm dreaming big - wouldn't it be awesome if we had a designated triathlon centre with an open water swimming area, a cycle course that could be closed to traffic and varied terrain running tracks.
2. A number of our former members were in action at Noosa including Jason Cook 2:11:46; Emma Cook 2:42:00; Angelika Hannon 2:59:58; Bertram Birk 2:53:36; Julia Gaudin 2:54:15 and Stephen Tapsall 2:51:12
3. Speedy recovery wishes to Ron Griep who is sporting some multi-coloured road rash after a tumble at the weekend.
4. Yes, if you thought it looked like him, Ian Norton has been in town.
5. More info on Parap Pool redevelopment.
6. Hearing Blue Watt will be Ironman training through the UK winter.
7. Spotted: Jason Cook using Darwin as an Melbourne Cup excuse - view here
8. Did you or your team get a spot at the Lake Argyle Swim? Hearing Stu Fitch is doing the 20km solo!
9. Up for a challenge? Check out the Australian Alpine Ascent (3km swim, 130km ride, 30km run) 19-20 March 2016, 2 handlers & one support vehicle required.
10. Next Bali Ocean Swim - 3 July 2016
11. See you all Saturday evening. Don't forget there are plenty of dinner options available afterwards if you want to be social later.
PIC OF THE WEEK:
Lucky we don't need bikes this Saturday!
Friday, 30 October 2015
Wednesday, 21 October 2015
E NEW 21 OCTOBER 2015
Our juniors had a ball at their event on Sunday!
A huge thank you to junior co-ordinator Melissa Lind and her band of enthusiastic volunteers for their combined efforts to ensure all the youngsters had a positive swim bike run experience.
This weekend will see the eagerly awaited Super Sprint handicap take place. We haven't had a handicap event for a number of years and it is great to see this exciting format back on our calendar. Be prepared for a whole new experience if you haven't yet done one.
The aim of course, is to have everyone cross the line at the same time and our handicappers Brett Verity and Gary Wall have been putting in the hard yards working out start groups.
The need to have all handicaps sorted for the event means entry will close earlier ie midday this Friday and no late entries will be taken, so do get your skates on and get your online entry sorted (see details below).
1. Melbourne Marathon, 42km
John Thyne 148th M50-54 3:38:53
2. Melbourne Half Marathon, 21km
Gary Wall 70th M50-54 1:46:09
Clare McVeity F20-39 1:56:03
3. NT Open Water Swimming C'ships
Female: 1 Megan Gallager 2 Moira Wigley
Male: 2 Brett Verity
Female 30+: 1 Kylie Scholz 2 Angela Librio 3 Diane Napier
(prov - results not yet available)
4. NT Road Cycling C'Ships
60km Road Race:
Michael Cain 3rd Elite M 1:41:40
Glen Scholz 3rd M1-M3 1:47:02
Steve Goat 5th M1-M3 1:51:43
Michael Cain 1st Elite
Glen Scholz 2nd M1-M3
Steve Goat 4th M1-M3
25 October 2015
Super Sprint Triathlon Handicap
7am (check in closes 6:45am sharp)
300m swim, 13km bike, 3km run
Online entry open here
1. Note change of close of entry - entry for this event closes at midday Friday. No late entries taken.
2. Event check in closes at 6:45am sharp. Not checked in by then = not able to participate.
3. All road rules to be adhered to including stopping if traffic lights are RED and keeping to left unless overtaking.
4. No drafting or blocking allowed on the bike leg. Not sure what this means? Please check our
Race Competition Rules.
1. Former member Bob Martin made top 10 at World Duathlon Championships in Adelaide at the weekend. Bob (10th M65-69) went 2:32:51 for the 10/40/5 run bike run course.
2. Over at Port Mac 70.3 Jason Cook knocked out a 4:51:52 (29th M35-39)
3. We farewell Life Member Allan Stancombe from the Territory shortly. Al & wife Anne are now heading for cooler climes. We take this opportunity to thank him again for his contribution to the success of our club. Always a willing volunteer Al also served time on our committee and was for many years our results man (back before electronic timing). As well, Al was a formidable triathlon competitor before his dodgy knees called time. Safe travels and all the best!
4. A number of our members have been out of action lately. Among them Michael Mondy who has needed some surgical adjustments to his collection of pins and screws, Monica Stewart who has had a thorough check up as well as a number members laid low with flu &/or tummy bug symptoms. We wish you all a speedy recovery and hope to see you on a start line soon.
5. Keep an eye out if you are walking at East Point, there has been a croc sighted.
6. NT Gov want to hear your views on sport and active recreation and how you want it to be in the future. You can give your input via their NT Sport & Rec Master Plan online survey. Those completing the survey have a chance to win an iPad mini or a Fit bit.
7. Not to be outdone, City of Darwin want to know what you want to see at Parap Pool. Info here.
8. You could also win a $200 CycleZone Darwin voucher if you tell City of Darwin where you might want to Park Yer Bike.
9. Dept of Transport have launched Community Grants for those who wish to deliver Road Safety projects at a local level.
10. We have a number of athletes heading for Indonesia to compete in the Bali International Triathlon this weekend including Phil Blumberg, Jo Ellis, Daryl Stanley, Rob Brooks, Kylie Scholz and Cath Hood. Good luck!
11. Don't forget that early close of entry for this weekend's Super Sprint Handicap.
PIC OF THE WEEK:
Our juniors in action last weekend - ever want to be
inspired, come and check out one of their club events