Our ConocoPhillips Xmas Splash n
Dash was an awesome way to finish our 2016 events and
judging by the feedback, with the racing fast and furious, everyone had a
ton of fun.
A huge thank you to our roster volunteers, RD Robbie Weatherald,
our rego team of Clare
Labowitch & Alice
Wade and our catering crew Roger Decurtins & Diane Napier for
their much appreciated efforts.
Thanks also to Tony
Stanley, Tania Sloane (water safety) and all those who just
jumped in to assist and make this event a huge success.
We would also like to acknowledge & thank ConocoPhillips
who hosted our post race bbq & refreshments and Cycle ZoneDarwin, Korgan
Hucent of Ray
White Bayside and Telstra who supported our lucky draws.
Fronsko and your Darwin Triathlon Club committee would
like to thank all members who have raced this year, all our wonderful
volunteers who have given of their time, our coaches who have continued to
assist members to achieve their goals and our sponsors who have contributed
to our events … together we have had another fantastic year of triathlon
and we look forward to bringing our members more of the same in 2017.
1. Xmas Splash n Dash, 1km run, 200m swim, 1km run, 200m swim, 1km
Hamilton 20:52 Female: Rachel McLean
Full results here
2. Ironman 70.3 Ballarat, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run Luke Fronsko
7th M25-29 4:26:33
Our pointscore leaders at halfway point of the season are:
Fronsko | Rachel
Dames | Kylie
Monahan | Ruth
George | Ryoko
Grant | Tina
Thyne | Jo
Duncan / Gayle
Weatherald | Moira
Hancock | Clare
2017 Club Event Date Savers:
Add these early 2017 events to your calendar:
Sun 22 Jan 17 - Aquathlon #3 - Lake Alexander - 750/5 or 250/2 - 7am
Sun 29 Jan 17 - Aust Day Triathlon - Lake Alexander - 300/10/3 - 7am
Sun 29 Jan 17 - Come & Tri for non members - Lake Alexander - 150/5/1 -
Sun 19 Feb 17 - Off Road Triathlon #2 - Lake Alexander - 300/15/3
Entry for Come & Tri now open here
- we encourage you to send to someone you know who has expressed an
interest in trying a tri and maybe offer to give them a few tips over the
WE NEED YOU
1. We have a number of spaces on our
event rosters that need filling.
require a volunteer to be RD for our first event, Aquathlon #3, on Sun 22
Jan 17. Please email email@example.com
if you can fill this spot.
3. Please check our events
calendar and email if you can fill any of the
remaining spots. If everyone volunteers for a roster duty at least
once a season all our events can go ahead.
1. We farewelled Rosie
Sullivan this week. We wish Rosie, Mark and family all the
best with their move to Victoria.
2. Also handing in their timing chips, Brendan Sullivan
Monahan. Good luck with your new challenges.
3. Date Saver: Katherine Ultra Challenge - 6 August 2017
4. Want to ride 1500km from Alice to Darwin 4-11 June 17 & raise
funds for Smiling for Smiddy? There are a few spots left - More info here.
5. Great to see Brad Beven
inducted into the ITU Hall of Fame. Brad was a regular visitor to
Darwin & competitor (and winner) at the Arafura Games Triathlon.
6. Some of our junior members attended a recent bike skills camp at
the AIS - Sophie
PIC OF THE WEEK:
Says it all really - our whole of club
ConocoPhillips Xmas Splash n Dash got a big thumbs up!
Last E News for 2016:
Seems everyone is flat strap, including yours truly, so this will be the
last E News in your Inbox for 2016.
I hope you have enjoyed E News again this year, I’ve certainly enjoyed
bringing it to you!
Over the Christmas / New Year period, any announcements, results etc will
be posted direct to our website & our
Wishing you all a
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year, Cheers, Robyn
Junior members also need to be registered online for this event.
Entry closes 8pm Friday evening, but to assist our volunteers we are asking
our members to please register early - today would be very helpful.
Race Director: Robbie Weatherald
Registration: Alice Wade | Clare Labowitch
Fruit | Ice | Catering: Diane
Napier | Roger
1. So we can get the event underway on time, please read the event
information - particularly about check in location & timing.
2. ConocoPhillips are providing catering for this event so we hope
you can stay afterwards.
3. Our lucky draws will also take place after the junior | senior
4. Don't forget your timing chip.
1. Craig Percival, who kicked off his 8 Ironman in 8 Days in 8 States
in Darwin in March and raised over $80,000 for charity, has sadly passed
away following knee surgery
complications. Our sympathy to family and friends.
2. Great to see former member Derek Cross go 8:42:51 at Ironman WA at
3. Good luck to our club president Luke Fronsko,
who is among those heading south for Ironman 70.3 Ballarat this weekend.
We were lucky with near perfect conditions for our Aquathlon at the
Waterfront on Saturday evening. A great field at a top venue with
lots of age group competition, lots of spectators and lots of
encouragement. And lots of positive feedback!
A huge thank you to Alan
Barrett our Race Director. In case you hadn't
noticed, Alan has been RD at no less than four of our events this season.
& Kerri Thomas
sorted check in for us again and JamieBaldwin handled
our fruit | ice to perfection, thank you. And thanks to those who
jumped in to lend a hand on the day, appreciated!
As we slip into December, Christmas crazy is well and truly upon us and we
are all scrambling to fit everything in.
Do hope you all have our final event of the year, the ConocoPhillips Xmas Splash n Dash,
on your calendars and have your Santa hats, jiggle bells & tinsel
For this event, we need
your help to get organised. Our volunteers need extra
time to organise the goodies we have planned and we are asking our members
(both adults and juniors) to please register here
for the event asap.
1. Aquathlon #2, Waterfront, 200m swim, 2km run X 3
Male: Luke Fronsko
36:22 Female: Rachel
1. Former member Katie Kelly has been nominated for Female Athlete of the
Year in the Australian Paralympic Awards. Congrats Katie.
2. Hearing there is a need to take care on the Tiger Brennan bike path as
rocks have washed on to it in some parts.
3. Notice to members:
The Darwin Waterfront Corporation advise that both the inner and outer
areas of the Recreation Lagoon will be closed from 6 to 9 December 2016 while cleaning works to the sea
water intake pipes are underway. Swimming in the Recreation Lagoon will not
be permitted during this time.
Sea water is constantly pumped into the Recreation Lagoon through three
different intake pipes to manage water quality and maintain a constant
The Corporation is undertaking cleaning of the pipes which are subjected to
marine growth given the nature of the natural marine environment.
Cleaning will be undertaken through high pressure water-jetting of the
pipes and removal of any marine growth within the pipes.
The maintenance works are required periodically to ensure longevity of the
Recreation Lagoon and maintain to a high standard of water quality for
Big Buoy Water Park will not operate during the closure.
The Recreation Lagoon will reopen on Saturday 10 December 2016.
4. Good luck to those competing at Ironman WA this weekend inc Brad Fitzwater, Sarah McEachern & KerriThomas.
luck Clare Labowitch, lining
up for Ironman 70.3 WA on Sunday.
8. Also email if you would like to pre order a cotton tee for
collection at our next event. Include your size (based on half size -
measuring a tee that fits across just under the armpit) and we will let you
know colour options still available. They make great stocking
fillers! $15 each or 3 for $40. (Kids sizes $10)
of the Week:
Aquathlon #2 at Waterfront lagoon - perfect Saturday
5. We have limited number of junior tri shorts & tri tops as well
as junior cotton tees for sale.
6. If you would like to order (note School Sports Vouchers are
accepted) please do so here&
we will get back to you with tee colour choices, payment & collection
Club Tee Shirts
1. Our tees are proving very popular and colour / size choices are
moving fast. Adult sizes are $15 each (or 3 for $40) and kids tees
2. If you would like to order
and collect at our event this Saturday, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
with your size/s and we will let you know the colours still available.
3. Sizes are based on half chest measurement (actual shirt not body
1. Great to see former member Rowan Beggs-French get among the
medals at the recent ITU Cross
Triathlon World Championships at Lake
Crackenback. Rowan won M25-29 age group & was then part of the
Australian Team who took the gold medal in the mixed team
2. Hearing quite a number of our members secured spots for Noosa Tri
6. It's that time of year again and we sadly start to farewell a
number of members heading off interstate. This week - Safe travels Jessica Fell and all
the best in the west.
7. Which reminds me - if you are leaving, we appreciate return of
timing chips so they can be reused.
8. Committee news - our new trailer has been delivered & will
soon be in operation (huge thank you to TonyCox who has been the
prime mover and shaker on this project); thanks to our super treasurer Lisa Payne we are on
track & on budget at this point and a new event format is in
the pipeline to be added to our calendar (watch this space).
9. We want to let our members know that although our event on Sat afternoon
is 200m swim, 2km run X 3, you are very welcome to make that X 2 or X
1 if you prefer. (Just let us know on the day). Also, if you
only wish to swim or just do the run & don't know anyone to team
up with, enter as an individual and we can sort it out so that you are able
What a great
turnout at the Waterfront on Saturday evening for the first of our wet
season Aquathlons. It's a popular course and reflected in the
A big welcome back to those who came out of the woodwork for this - catch
up time all round!
Again we had Alan
Barrett as RD and we offer Al a huge thank you (always a
willing volunteer, he has also been using time out for injury to give back
to the club in the RD role and we really appreciate his contribution. We
are however hoping to see him back on the otherside of the fence, ie on a
start line soon).
Thanks also to rego wizards Kim
Baldwin & Kerri
Thomas and super shopper Jamie Baldwin who took care of
our yummy post race refreshments (and ice).
To those who just pitched in to help where needed, we are also grateful for
your help. Our events are amazing because of our fantastic volunteer
culture & we thank you!
1 Aquathlon #1, 200m swim, 2km run X 2
Fronsko 23:27 Female: Rachel McLean
1. We have had more members wanting to buy our custom tri gear so we
have set up a quick turnaround order & have again made items available
with subsidy ie at less than cost price.
2. An email was sent earlier to those who had expressed interest and
we already have enough orders to proceed.
3. You can order tri suits, tri tops and club run tees (limited
sizes, numbers in the run tees, not to be confused with our club cotton
tees) this time and the turnaround from order to delivery will be short.
4. Closing order off at 8pm this evening so it can be collated
tonight and lodged first thing tomorrow.
6. We rarely have spares, so don't miss this opportunity. Next
order won't be until mid/late 2017.
7. We do however have 1 x men's Medium sleeved tri
suit ($165) available. The sleeved version isn't included in this
current order, so if you were after one in that size, email now.
Club Cotton Tshirts:
1. Are a big hit!
2. Cheap and cheerful, our club cotton tees are marching out the
door. They are $15 each or 3 for $40. Kids sizes are $10.
3. If you wish to order and pick up at our next event, please email email@example.com size/s and we will let you know colour choices still
4. Want earlier, also let us know and we will talk pick up options.
5. ICYMI in the last E News the size chart (refers to actual shirt half
chest measurement, not body size).
1. Former members also in action at IM Malaysia - Jason Cook
11:45:84; Emma Cook 12:42:29; Ashan Weerakkody 9:41:55 (Kona qualifier).
2. Committee is hoping to take delivery of our new fitted out
equipment trailer this weekend.
3. Our old trailer will then be rewired and be placed up for sale.
Watch this space.
4. We may have another working bee at the shed this weekend.
Check our Facebook
Page for confirmation.
5. Winners of our club T shirts for 45th & 55th entries in
Aquathlon #1 - Tony
Cox and Geoff
6. Good news! We have secured Nightcliff Pool for our
ConocoPhillips Xmas Splash N Dash (combined junior/adult event). Date
saver: Saturday 10 December 16 5:30pm followed by sponsored BBQ and
7. With 2017 fast approaching we are now seeking to fill our required
roster slots for next year's upcoming events. Please check the
calendar & rosters here
and email firstname.lastname@example.org
if you can fill any of the vacant positions. We need those key
positions filled to go ahead with event.
8. Doing IM WA or IM 70.3 Busso in a few weeks (or any other events)
we would love a heads up. Don't forget to add Darwin Triathlon Club
as your club as we are a registered IM Tri Club.