Monday, 17 May 2010
Photo: Vincent Gilly making it look easy in the pool
Another busy weekend sports wise, with members (past and present) in action all over the country. Here at home there was plenty of action as well. Training for the upcoming NT Olympic Distance Championships continues and many were spotted up and down Dick Ward Drive over the weekend.
Lake Alex remains closed at this stage (so what were those people doing in the water yesterday?). The pump was working overtime & the tides were high, so we are hopeful the lake has had a good flush over the weekend and testing today will bring better results. We will keep you updated.
1. North Face 100
Male: Stu Gibson/Andrew Lee 9.54.19
Female: Beth Cardelli 12.16.15
Luke Hansen 281st M Open 26.37.19
Tymeka Mibus 32nd F Open 18.09.38
Caine Warburton 7th M U25 18.09.38
2. Red Centre MTB Enduro
Male: Jason English 12.58.24 Female: 15.53.23
Lisa Quinell 17th 23.01.57
Col Smith 26th M50+ 26.16.50
Aaron Caden 3rd M40-49 15.29.24
Bill Murphy 4th M40-49 15.31.02
Pete Svara 12th M40-49 17.37.16
Kris Bitz 47th M Open 18.41.12
Allan Stancombe 20th M 50+ 20.56.52
3. Bark Hut Classic, 86km Handicap
Male: Andrew Barcroft Female: Shaye Hatty/Sue Parora (dead heat)
4. Great Ocean Road Marathon, 45km
Male: Mark Tucker Female: Lucie Hardiman (tbc, results not yet published)
5. Ironman 70.3 Florida, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Male: Tim O'Donnell 3.51.18 Female: Leanda Cave 4.14.22
Sunday 23 May 2010
NT Olympic Distance Championships
1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run
Race Director: Col Smith 0408 830 411
Registration: Ron Griep / Roger Decurtins
Timekeeping: Bill Piper / Bronwyn Rossingh
Fruit / Ice: Robyn Kennedy
1. Watch for updates on Lake Alex closure. We are hopeful the lake will reopen tomorrow following testing today.
Race Director Needed - Triathlon NT is seeking an experienced race director to conduct a junior "Come and Try" Triathlon event. This event, scheduled for Sunday 22 August 2010 is aimed at attracting more juniors to triathlon and increasing membership for 2010-2011. This event will be advertised heavily in the school system and it is hoped we can attract 50-100 kids. If you would like to assist with being RD for this event please contact Lee Wilson 0437 700 422 or email email@example.com
1. The new club uniforms are being sewn. Still hopeful that they will be here by Friday. If not, it will be early next week (depending of freight options).
FOR SALE / WANTED ETC:
1. FOR SALE: Wetsuit 2XU V2 wetsuit - women's S/M. Very good condition, $295; Contact Stu: 0418 437 075.
2. LOST: Track pump at race on Sunday Contact Tom: 0417 663 699
3. SWIMMER AVAILABLE: For team for Olympic Distance. Contact Margaret: 8922 1611
4. Items for E News and requests for re runs by tomorrow 9pm
1. Our website keeper isn't having much luck staying upright on his bike of late. Two falls in a week recently left the Stancombe first aid kit looking rather bare. Since then Al has been down in Alice Springs for the MTB enduro and in the night race, he did a spectacular somersault over the bars and landed flat on his back, and he is sure he bounced - but also may have cracked a rib....ouch !
2. Marrara Track – please be advised that the car park for Marrara track has limited access due to building works. The track is still open until the end of June when it will close for redevelopment. There is a detour to get into the car park or you can park on the grassed area around the front near the gymnastic centre. An alternate venue for running is currently being looked at for when the redevelopment starts.
3. Weekend form guide: Tim Ellison & Bec Thyne look in awesome bike form for the upcoming NT Olympic Distance; Shaye Hatty & Sue Parora are also in great cycling shape, ditto Bertram Birk; The Timex twins Ali & Stu Fitch were in great swim/run form; and Tim Green is swimming away from everyone.
4. Entry is now open for the Canberra City Half Ironman and they are coming in fast. With events selling out in a matter of hours, get your entry in now if this event is on your target list.
5. Email if you would like a copy of the Fannie Bay Swim entry form.
6. 2010 Noosa Triathlon is on 31 October. Entries open online 9am 1st June. Make a note so you don’t miss out - they are expecting a quick sell out!
7. More on Channel Island: The shut-down is almost over and they are in the process of starting-up the plant. Most of the extra staff have left town and the traffic on Channel Island Road is down to more acceptable (almost normal) levels. Cyclists using the road should remain safety conscious, keep to the left and ensure they are highly visible (bright colours, good lighting).
8. Nightcliff Swim Squad Swimmers Please Note: The Nightcliff Pool will be closed for maintenance 24 May to 14 Jun (inc). During this time swim squad will continue at Lake Alex (carpark end) on Mon, Tue and Thur commencing at 1730 hrs sharp. Tue and Thu's evening Lake squad will conclude with an optional 300m/3k aquathlon - so bring your runners if you are keen.
9. I've set up a Flickr site for Alice Springs Triathlon Club. You can now see all the action from the Centre at http://www.flickr.com/photos/alicetriclub The club has put together a great duathlon season over the coming months so if you are heading down to Alice Springs keep that in mind.
10. Darwin Tri Club Flickr now includes half the photos from the last triathlon. Promise to get the rest up asap. Stats now at 4,691 images and over 42,000 views !! Obviously you continue to enjoy the happy snaps.
YOU KNOW YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE WHEN...
... you think a quick meal is a Red Bull and a Gu
... every time you walk past someone, you automatically say "on your right".
... when asked to pull some weeds out of the pavers in 30 degree heat, you say that its too hot to do that (and you mean it). An hour later you go on an 80 k ride because it's so nice out
Darwin Triathlon Club