What a fantastic turn out Sunday - a mix of members and those trying a tri. Transition was hopping from early on and a pre-sunrise downpour did little to dampen spirits. Great to see so many happy faces crossing the line. Here’s a few photos from the event.
A big thank you to volunteer RD Ron Griep for his efforts on Sunday. Ron was out early to set up and still out late morning collecting signs. Dave Glass is becoming a very constant presence on race mornings and his willingness to help out hasn’t gone unnoticed. Thanks also to our other wonderful volunteers. Those who assist with registration, fruit/ice, water stations, setting up and packing up etc are the backbone of our club and we couldn’t bring you as many events without their assistance.
We would like to take this opportunity to welcome our newest members, many of whom participated last weekend. Great to have you join us!
Don’t forget we now have an offer which allows non-members to join now and get up to 15 months for the price of 12.
(Current members note your membership takes you through to 30 June 2014 so no need to renew just yet).
1. Triathlon, Lake Alexander, 300m swim, 13km bike, 3km run
Male: Brett Verity Female: Wendy de Boer
Results: Not yet available
2. Ironman 70.3 Putrajaya, Malaysia 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Male: Brad Kahlefeldt 3:55:36 Female: Radko Vodickova 4:23:09
John Arrigo 8th M30-34 4:54:55
Bryan Hopkins 2nd M45-49 5:02:13
Steve Goat 19th M30-34 5:25:34
Sunday 4 May 2014
Kerran Mudgway Memorial Triathlon Championships
1km swim, 30km bike, 8km run
Race Director: David Glass
Registration: Rowena Eastick | Simon Cruickshank
Fruit | Ice: Jemima Findlay
Online Entry opens shortly.
1. Our enthusiastic juniors have had extra events added to their 2013|2014 Calendar. Check the updates here.
FOR SALE | WANTED | ETC
1. FOUND: Tioga bike light, Katherine Ultra challenge Towel, swimming googles at last race. Contact Dave 0449 808 039
2. WANTED: Cyclist from south (regular Dry Season visitor) is keen to participate in team for Long Course. If anyone knows of a swimmer or runner who might be interested, Contact Graeme 0419 427 012
3. FOR SALE: P2 Cervelo, 62cm 10 speed. Also Zipp race wheels $5000 ono Contact Erika 0408 370 892
4. FOR SALE: Bike box for sale $100 Contact Erika 0408 370 892
5. FOR SALE: Club caps $25 Email
6. Items for next E News by Monday 8pm please.
1. General entry for IM 70.3 Port Macquarie (Race date 19 Oct 2014) opens tomorrow.
2. The field for Darwin Long Course Triathlon (Race date 16 August 2014) has been set at max 500 entries. Are you in yet?
3. A number of our members have signed up for the Katherine to Darwin Cycle (K2DC) (28-30 June 2014).
4. Did you see the inspiring 60 Minutes show on John MacLean. Tony Burns has been raising funds for the John MacLean Foundation for some time. Read about his latest efforts & how you can support him here.
5. Belinda Townend and Kate Richardson held a fundraising BBQ & raffle at our event on Sunday (love those sausage & bacon sangas). They are raising funds for the Royal Flying Doctor Service as they head towards the Gibb River Challenge. You can support them with a donation here.
6. Bit of a heart starter for some when they received an email last week to say they had won a lottery slot to Ironman World Championships. WTC quickly sent out an apology for a database error! The lottery took place overnight and unfortunately the list doesn’t contain the names of any of our members.
7. The guys who competed at IM 70.3 Putrajaya last weekend copped a hot, hot day! Lucky Steve Goat, John Arrigo and Bryan Hopkins are Territory tough!
8. Stef Puszka will be in action at Challenge Taiwan this weekend. Billy Lynch in Challenge Taiwan Half. Good luck.
9. We end up with bits and pieces of lost property after each of our events. Good idea to take a quick look around your transition spot before walking away. Amazing what people go home without.
10. Many of you will be heading off over the Easter break and many will be taking the opportunity to get some solid training done for upcoming events. Have a happy and safe Easter where ever you may be spending it.
Darwin Triathlon Club