Our contestants finished yesterday’s Off Road Triathlon in a very filthy state but wearing grins a mile wide after slogging it out against nature. Early checks of the BoM radar showed clear – wrong! It bucketed down at times but hey, that’s why we have our mtb tri at this time of year.
Bec Thyne and Emma Winterflood took over race day preparations for this event and we would like to thank them sincerely. Lots of comments on how good the course was and how well marked it was as well. Thanks Bec and Emma and all those who also assisted - whether on roster or just pitching in to help - on the day. Much appreciated by all competitors.
1. Off Road Triathlon, Lake Alexander, 400m swim, 12km bike, 2km run
Male: Brett Verity 46:53 Female: Emma Winterflood 54:04
Results on website.
2. Australia Age Group Triathlon Championships, Devonport, 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run
Male: Nathan Barry 1.58.30 Female: Kate Pedley 2.16.38
Tim Green 5th M25-29 2.06.57
10 March 2013
Race 1 Sprint & Women’s Series
600m swim, 20km bike, 5km run
(Short option: 300m swim, 10km bike, 2.5km run)
1. We are extremely pleased to have negotiated a return to Robertson Barracks for Race 1 (Sunday 10 March 2013).
2. Obviously using these facilities come with some responsibilities and restrictions and we ask that you pay particular attention to entry details for this event .
3. To assist with smooth entry on to Robertson Barracks for competitors and supporters on race morning, we require your online registration so an approved list can be provided to base security.
4. All entries for this event are to be made online by midday Thursday 7 March 13. There will be definitely no late entry taken.
5. Entry is now open online here.
6. Any supporters accompanying you to the event must be listed at time of entry.
7. On race morning, you & your supporters will require photo ID and your name must be on our list to be allowed entry.
8. Please factor in extra time for this processing. Our registration check and body marking will close at 6.45am sharp. Late comers will not be able to participate.
Race Director: Glen Scholz
Registration: Heath Porter / Vicki Woodrow
Timekeeping: Nerida Godfrey / Simon Weise
Fruit / Ice: Vicki Woodrow
INVITE TO NEW MEMBERS:
Transition training session for new members to get ready for the upcoming sprint series. Come and learn some of the finer points of getting on and off your bike and setting up for racing.
Also followed by a short brick session. That is a short ride followed by a short run to practice the transition techniques.
So bring your bike and running gear and bathers for a cool down swim at the end if you want.
Where: At the Lake Alexander car park When: Saturday 2 March 2013 be ready to start at 7am. We will be finished around 8am. Cost: No charge. Contact John Thyne 0423 797 401 if you have any queries.
FOR SALE / WANTED ETC:
1. FOUND: Phone recharger at Lake Alexander. Email here
2. Items for next E News by Sunday 8pm
1. Congratulations to Derek Cross and wife Shelley on the recent birth of their baby boy, Alwyn.
2. Latest comeback kid – great to see Matt Hubber getting muddy yesterday in his first event in quite a while. Welcome back Matt!
3. On Matts – Matt King is sporting a sore shoulder and finger after crashing in practice interstate and subsequently missing the Aust Mtb championships in Canberra. We wish Matt a speedy recovery.
4. Life member Anthony Beven was in town for a few days and ran himself into some form training for the upcoming Milan Marathon. Hear he pulled all the “gee I’m tired” excuses before setting the pace.
5. Been catching up with some results that I missed recently. Was disappointed for Heath Porter to hear that he was a dnf at Hell of the West earlier this month due to a puncture.
6. Those guys training the house down for IM Melbourne don’t have long to wait now – less than four weeks to race day.
7. Sunday 15 September 2013 – inaugural Ironman 70.3 Sunshine Coast. More info here.
8. Expressions of interest to participate in the 2013 ITU Age Group World Triathlon Championships in London in September are now open. Olympic Distance closes 5pm AESDT 18 March 2013 and Sprint Distance closes 5pm AESDT 8 April 2013. Selection criteria and further information here.
9. Ron Griep headed West for Rottnest Island swim last Saturday. He and team mate were in the Duo 100+ category and placed third in 6 hrs 12 mins 56 secs.
YOU KNOW YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE WHEN…
... you own at least ten swim suits, five pairs of goggles, a dozen bathing caps, swim fins, a pull buoy and a wet suit
... you have a plan “A”, plan “B”’, and a “try not to die” race plan
... you can’t remember the last time you slept in past 6 am on a Saturday
Darwin Triathlon Club