Thursday, 5 May 2011
How exciting, only three more sleeps until the Arafura Games Triathlon !
The Arafura Games athlete & supporter information for triathlon has been posted to
We hope you have taken the time to read this information and would especially ask that you inform your friends and family who may be coming down to watch you, that road closures will make driving between T1 and T2 impossible after 6am.
Experience from previous Games has been that parking in Fannie Bay side streets fill fast & creates stressful bottlenecks, so we suggest you encourage everyone you speak to, to be inside the gates at Lake Alexander before 6am, park in the designated spots, grab a coffee and roll from the outlets and to stroll back up to the junction of Ross Smith Ave & East Point Road to watch cyclists as they come on to the bike course from the pool.
From there it's a pleasant stroll back to T2, watching the cycle action along the way.
We're also hoping that you are approaching the pool swim with a positive attitude. A little bit of creative thinking and a chat to other swimmers in your lane and you should be able to get a nice pace line going and all have a pleasant swim.
FOR SALE / WANTED ETC:
1. FOR SALE:: 2010 Black medium women’s 2XU Comp tri-suit. Features built in sports bra, discrete padding for the bike, silicone leg grippers. Perfect condition - only worn once. $75 ono (paid $160). Contact Kiah 0402 009 112
2. OR SALE: Token Carbon tubular T50 wheel set, GP4000 singles and Ultegra cassette included. Wheels have done only done a handful of triathlons. Price - $1000 Contact- Kyle 0437 814 892 or at Cyclezone 8981 4436
3. Items for next E News by 8pm Sunday please.
1. And if you thought the bike course at Lake Bennett for the club champs was rough, check this out:
2. Tim Green is leaving Darwin for five months and plans to have a very casual BBQ at East Point this Sunday at 4pm to say farewell. BYO food/drinks. Everyone welcome.
3. We have many multi talented club members & Alex Moratis will be putting his musical talent on display when his band, ‘Jasmine Revolution’ performs their first gig as a new original Territory Indi-rock band on Friday 13 May @ the Happy Yess in Darwin. [12 Smith St Darwin – within Brown’s Mart theatre and across from central bus station]. Band starts at 9.30pm & it's $5 entry.
4. Registration is open for the Ord Valley Muster Triathlon (750/16/6) on 21 MaY 2011. More info 9169 2120
5. Those registered for the Arafura Games Triathlon need to go to the Games Accreditation Centre at the Darwin Entertainment Centre in Mitchell St to pick up their pass etc. See athlete info for opening times.
6. More athlete tracking coming up this weekend with the Busso 70.3 taking place. As well as a top pro field, 1400 age groupers will toe the line and there are also 246 teams taking part. Big weekend in the West.
Darwin Triathlon Club
Monday, 2 May 2011
A week is a long time in triathlon and what a week it has been ! Following word that Lake Alexander would be closed to swimming indefinitely due to water quality issues, we were making plans to let you know we would be going to a duathlon. We were then, unexpectedly, thrown a very welcome life line to maintain our Arafura Games swim, bike, run format.
Thanks to the assistance of Sport & Rec, the Arafura Games staff, Darwin City Council and numerous authorities, and following many behind the scenes meetings, we confirm that the swim will be held at Parap Pool.
Please check www.arafuragames.nt.gov.au for the latest course maps. The athlete information update is attached.
1. Oops, sorry. There are two dates on uniform order. You can still order ... until Wed 9am. Order form attached again for your convenience.
1. Ironman Australia, 3.8km swim, 180km bike, 42.2km run
Male: Pete Jacobs 8.29.28 Female: Caroline Steffen 9.29.54
Kylie Gaffel 17th F25-29 12.05.15
2. Ironman 70.3 Port Macquarie, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Male: Joe Games 3.58.15 Female: Jo Lawn 4.29.36
Glen Scholz 29th M30-34 5.51.11
Ali Fitch F Pro dnf
3. Wildflower Triathlon, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Male: Jess Thomas 4.04.45 Female: Leanda Cave 4.27.58
4. ITU Cross Triathlon World Championships, Extremadura, Spain, 1km swim, 20km mtb, 6km cross country run
Male: Conrad Stoltz (SA) 1.26.40 Female: Melanie McQuaid (CAN) 1.43.01
5. Ironman 70.3 St Croix, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Male: Maksym Kriat 4.11.43 Female: Catriona Morrison 4.29.28
ARAFURA GAMES - CAN YOU HELP? :
1. Thanks to the wonderful volunteers who have previously let Anna know that they are available to help out, she will have contacted you by email.
2. We also require:
a. extra manpower on Saturday for setting up from 11am onwards (including rack set up & numbering at Lake Alex; clean up of area; transition area set up; etc etc)
b. 3 people are required to assist with race registration on Saturday (from 2.45pm - 4pm).
c. On race day we need two volunteers to remove & collect timing chips at the finish line.
d. General race day volunteers (duties will be confirmed on Saturday)
e. Pack up assistance after the event.
Please email email@example.com if you can help out with any of the above.
1. The Arafura Games Triathlon has a proud history. There have been a number of course and distance changes over the years.
Past winners are:
2009 Tim Ellison, NT / Long Hoi, Macau
2007 David Esposito, Noumea / Sophie Hawken, NT
2005 Luke Gratton, ADF / Sarah Cockshell, NSW
2003 Brad Beven, QLD / Shelley Foster, ADF
2001 Brett Verity, NT / Teresa Wiggins, ADF
1999 Andrew Weaver, QLD / Lisa Vanska, QLD
1997 Brad Beven, QLD / Nicki Sexton, NT
1995 Brad Beven, QLD / Fleur Froggat, ADF
1993 Brad Beven, QLD / Ruth Hunt, Hong Kong
1991 Brad Beven, QLD / Vicki Woodrow, NT
FOR SALE / WANTED ETC:
1. FOR SALE: Token Carbon tubular T50 wheel set, GP4000 singles and Ultegra cassette included. Wheels have done only done a handful of triathlons. Price - $1000 Contact- Kyle 0437 814 892 or at Cyclezone 8981 4436
2. UNIFORM ORDER: We are taking orders for club uniform items until 9am Wednesday. Please assist volunteer by getting your order in asap.
Size charts and design were circulated earlier. If you have inadvertently deleted, email and I am happy to resend.
3. Items for next E News by 8pm Tuesday please.
1. David Crane and Alex Moratis also did the Lake Argyle swims along with Moira Wigley, Kate Robertson and Ron Griep. Teams did 20km or 10km. Results to come.
2. Arafura Games triathletes start arriving in Darwin this week. If you bump into them we ask that you make them feel very welcome. We have competitors from Macau, Hong Kong, Singapore, and PNG as well as athletes from interstate, Katherine and Alice Springs coming in for the event.
3. Arafura Games Triathlon competitors please note that there is a change from past procedure regarding Games accreditation. Athletes must call at the Accreditation Centre at the Darwin Entertainment Centre in Mitchell St. to collect your pass and bag (we are not permitted to collect on your behalf and take to compulsory race brief as has happened in the past). For opening times, see attached info update.
4. The new Darwin Triathlon Club IDS top looks great and is going to be a winner. Note the men's bathers are now in chlorine resistant lycra.
5. There were lots of people out training on the Arafura Games course over the weekend. Even with the slight format change it is going to be a fantastic event and we know many have been looking forward to it for months.
YOU KNOW YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE WHEN ...
... the magic dry season weather has given you a spring in your step
... there are more races you want to do than you have annual leave to cover
... months later & you still don't know the last name or occupation of some of your training mates, but you do know what events they are targeting & by how much their averages have improved.
Darwin Triathlon Club