What a fantastic weekend of triathlon. First up we had Hawaii 2012 on the TV on Saturday, then on Sunday our event at Lake Alex followed by athlete tracking of Ironman Melbourne. Doesn’t get much better than that!
While those in Melbourne were battling some pretty horrid swim conditions, we sat through a 30 min rain delay before getting Race 2 of the Sprint Series underway in perfect conditions.
Our thanks to RD Col Smith and all those who helped out on the day. Our volunteers really are wonderful people and without them our events just wouldn’t take place. The presence of St Johns Ambulance and Surf Lifesaving crews continues to ensure safe racing for our athletes and we also thank the volunteers from those organisations.
The tri focus now turns to one of our highlight events & Race 3 of our Sprint Series, the Ray White Darwin NT Sprint Distance Championships. Entry closes 5pm THIS FRIDAY 29 March 13.
1. Race 2 Sprint Series, Lake Alexander, 750m swim, 26km bike, 5km run
Male: Brett Verity 1.06.15 Female: Stef Puszka 1.17.36
Full results posted to website
2. Race 2 Short Option, (Inc 2013 NT Junior Triathlon Championships) 300km swim, 13km bike, 3km run
Male: Joseph White 40.53 Female: Jade Williamson 46.12
Full results posted to website
1. Ironman Melbourne, 1.9km swim, 180km bike, 42.2km run
Male: Eneko Llanos 7.36.08 Female: Corinne Abraham 8.10.56
Bryan Hopkins 1st M45-49 8.47.28
Jim Eadie 72nd M45-49 10.17.41
Luke Hansen 75th M25-29 11.15.52
Sarah Collins 7th F50-54 11.26.10
Emma Cook 53rd F35-39 12.31.10
Angelika Hannon 18th F50-54 13.39.19
Heath Porter dnf
Nathan Dwyer dnf
Sunday 7 April 2013
Race 3 Sprint Series
Ray White Darwin NT Sprint Distance Triathlon C’ships
750m swim, 26km bike, 5km run
Online entry here. Entry closes 5pm THIS FRIDAY 29 March 13 or earlier if sold out – no late entry.
Race Director: Phill Hatty
Registration: Emily Heames / Lisa Heames
Time Keeping: Peter Stephens / Rose Stephens
Fruit / Ice: Graeme Havens
COSTS ARE RISING:
Dear Club members,
in order to help defray costs your committee is exploring ways to keep your fees down but to also ensure you are supported by good equipment and that all safety measures are in place. A new initiative "Sponsor a Race" has been developed whereby individuals, organizations or families are asked to sponsor a race. At this stage we would like as many sponsors as DTC club races (excludes NT or club championship races). Cost is $300. What does the sponsor need to do? Simply pay and then nothing! What do you get? Your name in the Calendar plus acknowledgement on your race day. Ever feel that you would like to do more for your club but don't have the time? Here is the answer! Contact Bin Birk 0417087407 or email here if you would like to sponsor an event on the existing calendar or claim an event for next season.
DTC Sponsorship Committee.
FOR SALE / WANTED:
1. WANTED TO BUY: Mountain bike or hybrid bike suitable for a female height 165 – 170cm. Contact John 0423 797 401 if you have one lying around looking for a good home.
2. FOR SALE: Cervelo 2012 S5 White with Sram Rival gearing and Fulcrum Racing T wheels, 56cm frame, in great condition only 4 months old, selling it as I have grown out of it. Asking $3200 ONO
Contact Joseph: 0478 825 549
3. WANTED: To buy, rent or borrow, a kayak suitable for training and racing in at the Katherine Ultra Challenge (4 August). Contact Billy: 0410 330 177
4. FOR SALE: Bike boxes. 2 x Scicon hard shell bike boxes, grey colour. Well-travelled, need some TLC/repairs, good protection for bikes when travelling. Cost new (Wiggle) ~$750. Sell $50 each. Contact Stu 0418 437 075.
5. Items for next E News by Sunday 8pm please.
1. For those of you who have current uniform orders placed, delivery is expected in a fortnight.
TRIATHLON NT NEWS - MEMBERSHIP OFFER:
Extended Membership Special Offer for new members – up to 15 month membership for the price of 12
Have you recently competed in your first triathlon? Are you interested in doing more races next season? Have you considered becoming an annual member of Triathlon Australia?
We recognise that many participants who compete in their first triathlon towards the end of the triathlon season are unsure about whether they want to commit to an annual membership of Triathlon Australia when only limited events remain.
In consideration, we are providing you with a one-time offer for new members of Triathlon Australia – up to 15 months of FULL membership benefits if you join after 1st April 2013.
Anyone who is not currently a member of Triathlon Australia that joins after 1st April 2013 will become a full member of their state and national association for the remainder of the current membership year and for the whole of the 2013/14 membership year.
This offer will be available from the Triathlon Australia website from 28th March 2013. All memberships taken from 28th March 2013 will be valid from 1st April 2013.
* This offer is available to any new members joining from 1st April 2013 and the membership will be effective from the date of joining to 30th June 2014.
1. Congratulations to Bryan Hopkins who is heading for Hawaii in October after qualifying in IM Melbourne. With some seriously impressive riding & running, Bryan became the first member to qualify for Kona in 2013. In now published official results, as well as his age group win, Bryan was 75th overall of 1837 competitors!
2. Congrats also to those who made the IM finish line for the first time – Luke Hansen, Angelika Hannon, Jim Eadie & Emma Cook. Stoked for them, welcome to the Ironman family!
3. Thanks to John Arrigo who rescued one of our bike course signs early on Sunday morning. John spotted a couple of likely lads walking along Dick Ward Drive using the sign as an umbrella. That left John in the dark, on his bike, back pack on with a big heavy sign to reposition in the rain. Check out the line of chain teeth marks down the back of his leg!
4. Sean Killiner was a little anxious when he discovered his Rudy Project sunnies weren’t on the top of his head on Sunday. After much searching he was asking if they had been handed in when he spotted them under a shrub. Phew!
5. On lost sunnies, a Facebook post by Tom O’Neil reunited Jane-Marie Kerslake with her Oakleys which she had lost on a MTB ride. Favourites too, so she was pleased to get them back.
6. Our newest junior club member Bryn Pickering and family made the trip up from Katherine so that Bryn could compete in the NT Junior Triathlon. Bryn was the youngest in the field and he raced extremely well and picked up lots of experience along the way.
7. Phil Blumberg is in pretty good tri shape & the moment and judging by finish line comments on Sunday is the man the girls like to beat!
8. We had a number of new members compete for the first time on Sunday. Welcome, we hope you enjoyed participating with us.
9. President Phill Hatty reports positive feedback from competitors regarding the decision to delay the start until rained stopped rather than convert to swim/run format.
YOU KNOW YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE WHEN…
… you happily pay $12 for a pair of elastic laces
… you know the location of every accessible tap within a 10km radius of your home
… with lycra in mind, your washing machine is permanently set to delicate
Darwin Triathlon Club