Amazing how quickly the weeks are flying past (1 October already). The shops are displaying more and more Christmas items and it won’t be long until we are hearing jingle bells as we shop.
How good was the storm yesterday? Welcome back Wet. Seems a number of us got caught out in the rain J As the humidity increases many of us are finding it a little harder out there running. We are certainly a more sweat soaked as we finish. So best we all enjoy our next few triathlon format events before we change to aquathlons for the wet season.
E News will be having a short break. Any announcements during this time will be made direct to our website and Facebook so please check in regularly.
E News will be back in your inbox 22 October.
1. Singapore Triathlon, 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km
Male: Joe Dick Tam Dickson 2.04.38 Female: Ting yan Cheung 2.15.22
Tim Green 2nd M25-29 2.08.15
2. Tour de Timor
Male: Shahrin Amir 19.11.16 Female: Peta Mullins 20.29.59
Colin Smith 136th M 33.08.32Rowena Eastick 4th F 25.09.32
3. 100km Surf Coast Century
Male: Rowan Walker 8.25.31 Female: 10.18.58
The Smurfs (Heath Porter, Jac Crofton, Nic French, Tim French) 3rd Team 4: 8.31.11
4. Ironman 70.3 Pocono Mountains, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Male: Jesse Thomas 3.49.41 Tenille Hoogland 4.23.52
Stu Fitch 2nd M55-59 5.07.07
5. Ironman 70.3 Augusta, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Male: Maxim Kriat 3.49.14 Female: Melissa Hauschildt 4.06.56
6. ITU Yokohama World Triathlon, 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run
Male: Joao Silva (POR) 1.48.44 Female: Lisa Norden (SWE) 1.59.07
Reverse Order TriathlonSunday 7 October 2012
3km run, 13km bike, 300m swim
Event Status: Club (must be member to participate)
Race Director: John Thyne 0423 797 401
Registration: Jo Ellis / David Croser
Timekeepers: Monica Stewart / Christine Friebel
Fruit / Ice: Nicola Hoey
TriathlonSunday 21 October 2012
300m swim, 13km bike, 3km run
Race Director: Liam Johnson 0407 981 538
Registration: Paul Usher / Ryoko Jones
Timekeeping: Simon Cruickshank / Derek Cross
Fruit / Ice: Gary Wall
1. To assist our volunteers, all members are requested to bring TA card or copy of membership receipt to registration at our events.
2. No drafting allowed. Drafting policy:
Reports from our recent committee meeting included:
1. A subcommittee led by President Phill Hatty & including Steve Goat, Glen Scholz & Tony Cox, has been formed to look into the design and purchase of a new club trailer.
2. Our treasurer Karen Lewis presented the audited accounts (attached for your information) and new budget.
3. Further discussion took place on the purchase, use and storage of a defibrillator. A number of the committee recently attended a defibrillator demonstration by Sports Med NT. We thank outgoing Vice President David Croser for his research of this project. New committee member Sue Parora is now looking into the available options.
4. We are seeking expressions of interest from volunteers willing to be part of local organising committee (LOC) for an aquathlon at the 3rd Asia Pacific Outgames to be conducted in Darwin 10-16 May 2014.
Please email here if this is something you would like to volunteer to oversee.
5. Graeme Parsons will be handing over to Renee de Jong who has stepped into the Secretary role.
6. Calendar subcommittee are targeting an exciting new venue to add to our calendar next year.
7. On communications, our LIKES are up on Facebook and our new website is providing timely information to our members.
8. The issue of drafting has again been raised at committee level. Introduction of a “name and shame” policy was discussed. We would like to appeal to all members to do the right thing at our events and for the more experienced to set a good example for our newer members. Drafting is against the rules and is cheating. Please choose to do the right thing at our upcoming events.
FOR SALE / WANTED ETC:
1. FOR SALE: Cervelo P3 (2011) 54cm - Ultegra running gear with dura-ace shifters. New 10spd rear cassette. Great condition and regularly serviced. No damage or scratches. Would suit person 5'8 to 5'11. Selling $3000ono. Contact Simon 0414 657 256
1. Well done to all club members who participated in the Relay for Life. Team Tri did most laps and are already plotting strategy for next year. Grant Preddy (individual) chalked up 120km.
2. Junior members please note that there are some changes to Junior triathlon skills dates. Please check junior pages.
3. Tim Green was 4th overall at the Singapore Triathlon. Nice work Tim. A field of 1000 a big change from our local events.
4. Some of us have more trouble than others trying to get to our events. Rowena Eastick had every intention of doing the last tri but by the time she removed the cobwebs and possum nest from her road bike, and repaired 2 punctures late on the Sat arvo (rim tape disintegrated, so spokes kept puncturing her tubes!), she realised her road bike needed a bit of an overhaul - was even going to race on her MTB, but then slept through the alarm!
5. Maybe (5) above should be a “Dag of the Year” nomination! Don’t forget to drop us a quick email is you see someone doing something “daggy” out there. We keep all nominations confidential and drag them out at our next presentation night J. Same for any crashes that happen. Let us know about them so they can be in the running for the Broken Spoke Award.
YOU KNOW YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE WHEN …
… you already know all this tri terminology and the “real” meanings
Darwin Triathlon Club