Today’s E News is long enough to make it worth grabbing a coffee J
Our annual presentation night function this Sunday evening is a chance for us all to gather in something other than lycra, to celebrate our achievements, the achievements & improvements of our members and to relax in the beautiful surroundings of Darwin's Waterfront Precinct. Have you got your tickets yet?
Catering and seating numbers are required first thing Thursday so tickets sales close off on Wednesday. Please assist volunteers by getting your tickets now.
It will also be an ideal opportunity to brag about your performance at Lake Alex earlier on Sunday and to speculate on who will take out Finlay's NT Long Course Triathlon or how much improvement you are hoping for at the Fernwood All Girls Tri.
It's a busy time of year so our function will also be a chance to kick back, relax and enjoy the company of fellow members and their guests. We look forward to your company.
1. Ironman US Championship, New York, 3.8km swim, 180km ride, 42.2km rum
Male: Jordan Rapp 8.11.18 Female: Mary Beth Ellis 9.02.48
Michelle Mitchell 8th FPro 9.45.42
John Arrigo 25th M30-34 10.23.43
2. Ironman 70.3 European Championship, Wiesbaden, 1.9km swim, 90km bike, 21.1km run
Male: Michael Raelert 4.03.58 Female: Arlia Baranek 4.36.09
3. Challenge Copenhagen, 3.8km swim, 180km bike, 42.2km run
Male: Aaron Farlow 8.20.09 Female: Camilla Pedersen 9.12.27
4. Gran Fondo, 130km
Male: Matt King 3.38.35 Female: Ali Croser 4.13.25
Sunday 19 August 2012
500m swim, 13km bike, 5km run
Race Director: Simon Cruickshank
Registration: Belinda Townend / Alexis Marshall
Timekeeping: Steve Goat / Belinda Townend
Fruit / Ice: Belinda Townend
1. You may have been inspired by the Olympic triathlons or have taken part in the Gran Fondo at the weekend. If so, this is a gentle reminder that our club events are all run in accordance with Triathlon Australia Race Competition Rules and drafting is NOT permitted.
PRESENTATION NIGHT FUNCTION:
1. il Lido Restaurant, Waterfront Precinct, this Sunday 19 August 2012 commencing at 6.15pm.
2. Tickets online only here , don’t miss out get your tickets now.
3. We have some wonderful lucky draw prizes courtesy of Blue Cycles, Gallery Two Six, Everest Sports & Massage4Life.
TRIATHLON NT NEWS:
1. Triathlon NT will be conducting a Level 1 Technical Officials course on Friday 17 August 2012 commencing at 6.30pm at Tipperary Waters.
2. This course is free and is highly recommended for those wishing to learn more about the rules of triathlon as well as those who are happy to volunteer at our events.
3. We encourage parents of juniors, new members, partners of triathletes, all members and those TOs wishing to refresh their Level 1 quals to attend.
4. The course will be conducted by Adele Butler, a very experienced Level 2 Technical Official.
5. Those wishing to attend please email here to book your course place & receive further course information.
TEAMS MATCHING FOR FINLAY’S NT LONG COURSE:
1. Please email here if you are looking for team mates for the Long Course at Lake Bennett 7am 26 August 2012 and I’ll endeavour to team match & put you in touch.
FERNWOOD ALL GIRLS TRI:
1. We know many of you are out there training for Fernwood All Girls Tri coming up on 2 September 2012 but have you entered yet?
2. Heads up that competitor numbers are just about maxed out and will definitely close early. Please let the women in your life know.
3. Entry is open online here
4. Cycle Zone in Cavenagh St, opposite the GPO is supporting our Fernwood All Girls Tri again this year. Take your bike into Cycle Zone for a pre event check-up.
FOR SALE / WANTED ETC:
1. FOR SALE: Triathlon bike - 2009 Cervelo P3C, size 54 (medium), silver, black and white, Dura-Ace derailleurs, Profile Design T2+Cobra aero bars (almost new!), FSA SL-K Light carbon crank, 3T Funda carbon fork, Look Keo pedals, Simano R500 wheels with Ultegra cassette, all recently serviced (new cables), great condition $2800 obo. Contact Carolyn 0417 965 922
2. FOR SALE: Triton Swim Trainer, practically new, awesome dry land trainer, fully customizable $1500 obo. Contact Carolyn 0417 965 922
3. For Sale: 2009 Giant TCR Advanced SL1. Small. Carbon frame, Dura-Ace 7900 group-set, integrated seat mast, Mavic Ksyrium Premium wheelset, carbon bars. Inc, cages but not pedals. Very well looked after, serviced prior to sale. $2,500. Contact Kiah on 0402 009 112
4. Items for next E News by tomorrow 8pm please.
1. Why were they allowed to draft during the bike leg of the Olympic triathlon? Many asked. Triathlon was originally a non drafting event and still is for age group athletes in most events. The short answer to that question is – TV. Organisers needed to find a way to make the sport viewer friendly so draft legal races on tighter lap bike courses were introduced.
2. There is a whole set of rules governing the level of professional lic &/or endorsement required to be allowed to participate in draft legal events. There are also equipment restrictions as well - you may have noticed the lack of aerobars in the Olympic events.
3. Basically age group athletes (that’s most of us) do not have the required cycle skills level to compete in draft legal events. You only have to think of the crashes in the Tour de France as well as the London events to understand why TA Race Competition Rules endeavour to keep us weekend warriors a safe distance apart.
4. Want to know more about the rules? Make sure you register for the upcoming level 1 technical officials course (details earlier in E News).
5. Ironman US Championship in New York over the weekend was a marvel in logistics. It was also one hell of a tough course.
6. The course description is that the day begins with a time-trial 3.8km point-to-point swim in the Hudson River. The 180km bike course spans the cliffs of Palisades Parkway followed by a 42.2 km run course over the George Washington Bridge, finishing at 81st St in the heart of the city.
7. John Arrigo and Michelle Mitchell can vouch that they really earned their Ironman finisher medals here.
8. General entry fee for 2013 is, wait for it, US$1200 or you can sign up for the Premium entry of US$1700 and get branded goggles, watch and an extra banquet ticket. Interested, entry for 2013 is now open here.
9. Glen Scholz and Kylie Gaffel were among the thousands doing the annual City 2 Surf in Sydney yesterday.
10. Girl power … six of the first 10 women in the Gran Fondo yesterday are club members. Way to go girls.
11. For more news and photos LIKE us on Facebook.
YOU KNOW YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE WHEN …
... you have your tickets already for our presentation night function
… you watched both Olympic triathlons and were inspired
… you checked the NY athlete tracker while out training or on the Gran Fondo yesterday
Darwin Triathlon Club